What does it mean when total mechanical energy is negative?

In summary: However, this does not change the fact that total mechanical energy can be negative. Just to be clear here: This is true for the convention of having zero potential at infinite separation as I indicated above. You can always add a constant to the potential. However, this does not change the fact that total mechanical energy can be negative.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-17_5-25-1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a, i just plugged 3 into the equation, got the U(3) = -5.36

to get mechanical energy, (KE + PE):

5 J + (-5.36 J)= -0.36 J

is this correct? what does it mean when the total energy is a negative value? (I have never seen this before)

and part b) I have no clue how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
goonking said:
part b) I have no clue how to do this.

Think about this. If you have an object at a height h, it has gravitational potential energy equal to mgh. If you then drop the object, the force of gravity acts on the object, reducing its potential energy.

goonking said:
b) I have no clue how to do this.
How does the force relate to the potential?

AlephNumbers said:
Think about this. If you have an object at a height h, it has gravitational potential energy equal to mgh. If you then drop the object, the force of gravity acts on the object, reducing its potential energy.
yes, I sort of understand what you said , but I always thought the decrease in height lowered the potential energy.

Orodruin said:
How does the force relate to the potential?
Wgrav = mgh
W = F d

mgh = F d

?

goonking said:
yes, I understand what you said, but how does that relate to the x axis?

And why would the height change, if not for the force acting on the object? Since Ug = mgh, how would the gravitational potential energy of an object change if not for the force acting on it?

AlephNumbers said:
And why would the height change, if not for the force acting on the object? Since Ug = mgh, how would the gravitational potential energy of an object change if not for the force acting on it?
yes. that is true. makes complete sense now

but isn't height on the y axis? how can I find where the particle is located on the x-axis at a given time?

goonking said:
yes. that is true. makes complete sense now

So how is the conservative force related to the potential energy in the OP?

AlephNumbers said:
So how is the conservative force related to the potential energy in the OP?
-dU / dx = F(x) = g

?

goonking said:
-dU / dx = F(x)

Exactly! Now apply that to the original problem statement. The thing about gravity was just an analogy. Find the opposite of the derivative of the potential energy function listed in the problem statement, and you will have the conservative force as a function of x.

AlephNumbers said:
Exactly! Now apply that to the original problem statement. The thing about gravity was just an analogy. Find the opposite of the derivative of the potential energy function listed in the problem statement, and you will have the conservative force as a function of x.
dU/dx = 4e-2/x ( x - 2) = F = 0

?

Last edited:
also, can you give me a real life example where the total mechanical energy of a system is negative?

goonking said:
also, can you give me a real life example where the total mechanical energy of a system is negative?

Energy is only defined up to an additive constant (at least for the purposes of classical mechanics). By redefining the zero level of potential energy, any system can have a negative total energy. The prime example would be anything on Earth bound by gravity (the zero level of gravitational potential energy is usually taken to be at infinite separation).

Likes goonking
goonking said:
A planet orbiting a star is an example. Objects in bound orbits (circles, ellipses) have negative total mechanical energy associated with them. A body on a hyperbolic trajectory that passes by the Sun only once: approaching, swinging around the Sun, then heading out again never to return, has a positive total mechanical energy. The borderline case where the total mechanical energy is zero corresponds to a parabolic orbit (such as some comets are thought to have) and are also "one time guests" to the solar system.

gneill said:
A planet orbiting a star is an example. Objects in bound orbits (circles, ellipses) have negative total mechanical energy associated with them. A body on a hyperbolic trajectory that passes by the Sun only once: approaching, swinging around the Sun, then heading out again never to return, has a positive total mechanical energy. The borderline case where the total mechanical energy is zero corresponds to a parabolic orbit (such as some comets are thought to have) and are also "one time guests" to the solar system.

Just to be clear here: This is true for the convention of having zero potential at infinite separation as I indicated above. You can always add a constant to the potential.

1. What is total mechanical energy?

Total mechanical energy is the sum of both kinetic energy and potential energy in a system. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

2. How is total mechanical energy conserved?

Total mechanical energy is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total amount of energy remains constant over time. This is because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted between different forms.

3. What is the equation for total mechanical energy?

The equation for total mechanical energy is E = KE + PE, where E represents total mechanical energy, KE represents kinetic energy, and PE represents potential energy. This equation can also be written as E = 1/2mv^2 + mgh, where m represents mass, v represents velocity, g represents gravity, and h represents height.

4. How is total mechanical energy related to work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. Total mechanical energy is related to work through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object equals the change in its kinetic energy. This means that any external force that does work on an object will change its total mechanical energy.

5. Can total mechanical energy be negative?

No, total mechanical energy cannot be negative. Both kinetic energy and potential energy can have negative values, but the sum of these energies, which is total mechanical energy, will always be positive or zero.