Total Number of Quantum States

The formula provided is a way to calculate the possible number of quantum states of the combined system, taking into account the number of oscillators in each system and the principal quantum number of the composite solid. In summary, the combined system of two Einstein solids with N_A and N_B oscillators respectively has a possible number of quantum states given by the formula g(n,N) = \sum_{n_A = 0}^n g(N_A,n_A)g(N_B,n-n_A), where n is the principal quantum number of the composite solid. This formula takes into account the exchange of energy between the two systems and the possible discrete energies that can result from this exchange.
loonychune
Two Einstein solids are joined so that they can exchange energy. One contains N_A oscillators, the other N_B oscillators. Apparently, the possible number of quantum states of the combined system is given by,

[tex]g(n,N) = \sum_{n_A = 0}^n g(N_A,n_A)g(N_B,n-n_A)[/tex]

where n is the principal quantum number of the composite solid

[tex]n = n_A + n_B[/tex]

Now, I cannot see where this comes from. I hope this formula looks familiar more than anything, though I will look to write up everything I see here contained in the notes if necessary. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Damian

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I see it now.

Bringing the two systems into thermal contact means they can exchange energy, so we have to sum over all the possible discrete energies.

e.g.

[tex] n_A = 3, n_B = 4 \rightarrow n_{A,NEW} = 0, n_{B,NEW} = 7 [/tex]

is a new possible arrangement.

Related to Total Number of Quantum States

1. What is the total number of quantum states?

The total number of quantum states is infinite. This is because quantum systems, such as atoms and subatomic particles, can exist in an infinite number of energy levels and can have an infinite number of possible configurations.

2. How is the total number of quantum states calculated?

The total number of quantum states is calculated using the formula N = 2^n, where N is the total number of states and n is the number of quantum bits (qubits) or energy levels. This formula is based on the principle of superposition, which states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. Can the total number of quantum states be measured or observed?

No, the total number of quantum states cannot be directly measured or observed. It is a theoretical concept used to describe the potential states of a quantum system. However, scientists can measure or observe individual quantum states through experiments and measurements.

4. How does the total number of quantum states impact quantum computing?

The total number of quantum states is crucial in quantum computing as it determines the computational power and efficiency of a quantum computer. With a larger number of quantum states, a quantum computer can handle more complex calculations and process larger amounts of data at a faster rate compared to classical computers.

5. Is the total number of quantum states affected by external factors?

Yes, the total number of quantum states can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and external fields. These factors can alter the energy levels and configurations of a quantum system, resulting in a different total number of quantum states.