1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total radiant flux measurement of an LED with an optometer

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    Measuring the total radiant flux with an optometer of SFH 4550 LED from osram I'm getting ~70mW,
    If I place 5mm long rubber hose around the led (top 2,5mm of the led is free), the power is reduced to 50-40mW.
    This does not make sens to me, the led has a half angle of ±3° and emits nothing to its sides,
    why is the power then reduced so much ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it getting a lot hotter?

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    I have a constant 100mA current going through the led, that could be a reason, but I have not noticed that.
    If a place this rubber hose at the top of the led, so that most of the led housing is not covered, I am again
    having significant power loss. I have also placed the led in a small aluminum tube (~10mm long same diameter as the led) and
    again there is a power loss. I do not understand, this all should not make a difference if an led emits almost all of its power in ±3°.

One more thing, I have also measured total power flux of VSMY2850RG, a ±10° led. If I place the led at the
    entrance of the integrating sphere I have ~30-35mW, only when I place the led completely inside the sphere
    the power is ~55mW as stated in the specs. Ok, I think it's now clear to me why, the chip is encapsulated in transparent epoxy, but ...
    I wonder why is vishay producing reverse versions of this thing :smile: ?
    Why it is so hard for led manufacturers to state to which power the intensity plot is related ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook