Tough Conditional Expectation Problem

Summary: In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that Y = E(Y|G) almost surely, given that Y is a random variable, G is a sigma-algebra, and E|Y| < infinity. The conversation provides hints and steps for solving the problem, including showing that E(|Y||G) = |E(Y|G)| almost surely and using the fact that E(Y|G) is G-measurable to show that Y = E(Y|G) almost surely.
meiji1

Homework Statement

Suppose that $Y$ is a random variable, $\mathcal{G}$ a $\sigma$-algebra, $E|Y| < \infty$. Show that $Y = E(Y|\mathcal{G})$ a.s. (a.s. = almost surely).

Homework Equations

We're given $Y$ integrable.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's recommended as a hint to prove sgn($E(Y|\mathcal{G})$) = sgn($Y$), and then apply it to $X = Y - c$ somehow. Here's an attempt at the first part which seemed promising, but which I now realize is wrong:

Let $Y^+$ denote the positive part of $Y$ and $Y^-$ its negative part, and let $A = \{ x : E(Y|\mathcal{G})(x) > 0\}$. Then $A \in \mathcal{G}$ since $E(Y|\mathcal{G})$ is measurable, and so by definition of conditional expectation,

\[
\int_A Y dP = \int_A E(Y|\mathcal{G}) dP
= \int_A E(Y|\mathcal{G})^+ dP = = \int_A E(Y^+|\mathcal{G}) dP
\]

the last line derived by supposing $E(Y^+|\mathcal{G}) = E(Y|\mathcal{G})^+$, the very thing I'm trying to prove. From this point I went on to conclude that $Y^- = 0$ a.s., and similarly, that $E(Y|\mathcal{G}) < 0$ implies $Y^+ = 0$ a.s., and $E(Y|\mathcal{G}) = 0$ implies $Y^+ = Y^- = 0$ a.s., which alone is not enough to get sgn($E(Y|\mathcal{G})$) = sgn($Y$) a.s.

I've tried to get $Y = E(Y|\mathbb{G})$ a.s. by showing

\[
0 = \int |E(Y|\mathcal{G}) - Y| dP = \int ||E(Y|\mathcal{G})| - |Y|| dP
\]

to no avail. I have no idea how else you might show it, or how sgn($E(Y|\mathcal{G})$) = sgn($Y$) a.s. may point to the desired conclusion.

Sorry that I can't seem to get the board to render my tex, much of which is wrong anyhow, I'm sure.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Let me try to help you with your problem. First, let's recall the definition of conditional expectation: $E(Y|\mathcal{G})$ is a random variable that is $\mathcal{G}$-measurable and satisfies $\int_A E(Y|\mathcal{G}) dP = \int_A Y dP$ for all $A \in \mathcal{G}$.

Now, for the first part, you are on the right track by considering the positive and negative parts of $Y$. However, instead of trying to show that $E(Y^+|\mathcal{G}) = E(Y|\mathcal{G})^+$, try to show that $E(|Y|\,|\mathcal{G}) = |E(Y|\mathcal{G})|$ a.s. This can be done by breaking up the integral into positive and negative parts, and then using the definition of conditional expectation to simplify. From there, you should be able to show that $E(Y|\mathcal{G}) = Y$ a.s. for $Y$ non-negative, and similarly for $Y$ non-positive.

For the second part, try to use the fact that $E(Y|\mathcal{G})$ is $\mathcal{G}$-measurable to show that $Y - E(Y|\mathcal{G})$ is also $\mathcal{G}$-measurable. From there, you can use the definition of conditional expectation to show that $\int_A (Y - E(Y|\mathcal{G}))dP = 0$ for all $A \in \mathcal{G}$, which implies that $Y = E(Y|\mathcal{G})$ a.s.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further clarification. Good luck with your problem!

What is the "Tough Conditional Expectation Problem"?

The Tough Conditional Expectation Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the expected value of a random variable, given a specific set of conditions. It is often used in finance, economics, and statistics to model uncertain events and make predictions.

Why is the "Tough Conditional Expectation Problem" difficult to solve?

The Tough Conditional Expectation Problem is difficult to solve because it involves multiple variables and conditions, making it a complex mathematical equation. Additionally, the conditions may change over time, making it challenging to accurately calculate the expected value.

How is the "Tough Conditional Expectation Problem" used in real-world applications?

The Tough Conditional Expectation Problem is used in various real-world applications, such as risk management in finance, decision-making in economics, and forecasting in weather and climate modeling. It helps to predict future outcomes and make informed decisions based on uncertain events.

What are some methods for solving the "Tough Conditional Expectation Problem"?

There are several methods for solving the Tough Conditional Expectation Problem, including using statistical techniques, mathematical formulas, and computer simulations. Some common approaches include the Monte Carlo method, the Markov chain method, and the regression method.

What are the limitations of the "Tough Conditional Expectation Problem"?

The Tough Conditional Expectation Problem has some limitations, such as the assumptions made about the underlying data and conditions, which may not always hold true in real-world situations. Additionally, the complexity of the problem can make it challenging to find an exact solution, and the accuracy of the expected value may vary depending on the method used.