Struggling Senior: Should I Take the Risk?

• Thread starter Helical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Senior
In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school and is worried about their poor grades affecting their admission to their preferred college, the University of Washington. They are considering the option of attending Western Washington University or a community college instead. The speaker is also seeking advice on whether to prioritize completing assignments or risk being denied admission to their preferred college. They are aware that this situation can and has happened to others, but it ultimately depends on the policies of the specific college. They are urged to talk to an adviser for guidance and to make a decision on whether to prioritize completing assignments or not.
Helical
Hi, I'm in kind of a weird situation. I am senior in high school and my grades are pretty poor right now, my last quarter is just beginning but grades go on transcripts on a semester basis. This is mostly because I hate to do assignments like make board games and posters etc. so I don't. There has been an abnormally large amount of this sort of thing this year and particularly this semester. I guess the point of such assignments is to give seniors in easy last semester? It's stupid of me, I know, but I've never really done such assignments all throughout high school. Not all of my grades are bad, I have an A in Pre-Calc and a B+ in Advanced Biology (this will be an A) but my GPA right now is ~2.3. Also note that my cumulative GPA is ~3.1.

My problem is, since my grades are suffering, I'm not sure which college to accept admission at. I'd like to go to the University of Washington but I am afraid when I send them my final transcripts I will be denied admittance and by this time I believe it will be too late to accept any place else (so I end up not going to college at all). Does/can this sort of thing happen? I'm very afraid it might happen to me.

The other option is just to go to Western Washington University, I like this option too but not as much for many reasons.

Thanks for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically I just want to know if the scenario I outlined (i.e. not being able to go to any college at all) could actually to happen to someone. And maybe if that should be a concern in I should take into consideration in my decision. That may not have been clear.

Community College. That's what I did. I didn't even apply right out of high school. My grades shot up when I finally put effort into my classes and then I got accepted to UW, too.

Try to apply after 1 year, though. I waited to get my AS degree, but they didn't offer 2nd year physics there, so I am now taking an extra year to finish. :frown:

Well I'm accepted I'm just afraid that if I accept my admission to UW then I will get denied (and am wondering if this happens often?). But yeah CC would be an option then. However I'm pretty certain I want to go to WWU over CC anyways. I like WWU a lot as well though so that's why (I just don't like the physics dept. as much).

"My problem is, since my grades are suffering, I'm not sure which college to accept admission at. I'd like to go to the University of Washington but I am afraid when I send them my final transcripts I will be denied admittance and by this time I believe it will be too late to accept any place else (so I end up not going to college at all). Does/can this sort of thing happen? I'm very afraid it might happen to me."

It does happen, but it varies from college to college. If you're actually going to fail any classes you will likely have problems (especially if it's more than one). You should try to talk to someone at the university about this. Before doing that though, you should decide if you are going to overcome the annoyance and just do the busy work or not.

It definitely happens. Google "Mark Edmonson UNC" to see a case that actually became a lawsuit a few years ago. (After the judge stopped laughing, he threw it out...)

Now, he had a much worse case of senioritis than you seem to... so you're probably OK. But really... just do your work. It's much easier, in the long run.

Why not just talk to an adviser at the university?

1. What is the definition of a "struggling senior"?

A struggling senior is typically defined as a high school student who is facing difficulties in their academic performance and may be at risk of not graduating or not meeting college admission requirements.

2. What are the potential risks associated with taking the risk?

The potential risks of taking the risk of graduating as a struggling senior include not meeting college admission requirements, not being prepared for college-level coursework, and potentially not graduating at all.

3. What are the potential benefits of taking the risk?

The potential benefits of taking the risk include the opportunity to graduate on time with one's peers, the potential for personal growth and resilience, and the potential to learn important lessons about perseverance and determination.

4. How can I make an informed decision about whether to take the risk?

To make an informed decision, it is important to consider your individual situation, talk to your school counselor or trusted adults, and weigh the potential risks and benefits carefully. It may also be helpful to seek advice from college admissions experts or students who have been in a similar situation.

5. What resources are available to support struggling seniors?

There are many resources available to support struggling seniors, including tutoring services, academic counseling, and support groups. It is important to reach out to your school and community for help and to take advantage of these resources to improve your academic performance.