How do I write and manipulate a vector equation in Mathematica?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a vector equation and perform operations such as graphing, finding derivatives, and integrating in Mathematica. The participant is specifically asking for help with graphing a parametric surface and taking a partial derivative. The responder suggests using the "Vector" and "ParametricPlot3D" commands for graphing, and the "D" command for finding derivatives. They also ask for more information to effectively help the participant.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Alright I searched all over Mathematica on Google and I can't find the answer.

How do you write out a vector equation and then do a bunch fancy stuff to it? (Like if it was a parametric surface or line, how do you graph it? Find the derivative? Integrate it?)

For instance, I want to graph the parametric surface

[tex]r(\theta, \phi) = <2cos\theta sin\phi,2sin\theta sin\phi, 2cos\phi>[/tex]

How do I do this? Also how do I take the partial derivative of this parametric equation on Mathematica?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a clue...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand the frustration of not being able to find the answer to a problem. However, in order to effectively help you, I would need more information on what you have tried so far and what specific issues you are facing. In general, to write a vector equation in Mathematica, you can use the "Vector" command, followed by the components of the vector enclosed in curly brackets. For example, the vector equation r(\theta, \phi) = <2cos\theta sin\phi,2sin\theta sin\phi, 2cos\phi> can be written as "r[\[Theta],\[Phi]] = {2Cos[\[Theta]]Sin[\[Phi]],2Sin[\[Theta]]Sin[\[Phi]],2Cos[\[Phi]]}".

To graph this parametric surface, you can use the "ParametricPlot3D" command, specifying the range for \[Theta] and \[Phi]. For example, "ParametricPlot3D[{2Cos[\[Theta]]Sin[\[Phi]],2Sin[\[Theta]]Sin[\[Phi]],2Cos[\[Phi]]}, {\[Theta], 0, 2\[Pi]}, {\[Phi], 0, \[Pi]}]" will plot the surface for values of \[Theta] ranging from 0 to 2\[Pi] and \[Phi] ranging from 0 to \[Pi].

To find the derivative of this parametric equation, you can use the "D" command followed by the parameters and variables you want to differentiate with respect to. For example, "D[r[\[Theta],\[Phi]],\[Theta]]" will give you the partial derivative of r with respect to \[Theta].

I hope this helps. If you are still having trouble, please provide more information and I will be happy to assist further. Good luck with your problem!

(Scientist)

Related to How do I write and manipulate a vector equation in Mathematica?

1. What is Mathematica and what is it used for?

Mathematica is a software program developed by Wolfram Research that is commonly used for mathematical and scientific calculations and data visualization. It is also used for creating simulations, analyzing data, and solving complex equations.

2. How do I solve a tough Mathematica question?

The first step in solving a tough Mathematica question is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, you can use the built-in functions and commands in Mathematica to perform calculations and manipulate data. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and use the documentation and online resources for guidance.

3. Can Mathematica handle large datasets?

Yes, Mathematica has the capability to handle and analyze large datasets. It has built-in functions such as "Import" and "Export" that allow for importing and exporting large amounts of data. It also has efficient algorithms and parallel processing capabilities that make it well-suited for handling big data.

4. Is Mathematica difficult to learn?

The level of difficulty in learning Mathematica may vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and experience with programming and mathematics. However, with practice and patience, most users can become proficient in using Mathematica for various tasks. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to aid in learning the software.

5. Can I use Mathematica for non-mathematical tasks?

Yes, Mathematica has a wide range of capabilities beyond just mathematical and scientific calculations. It can be used for tasks such as creating interactive graphics, generating reports and presentations, and even building applications. Its versatility makes it useful for various fields and industries.