Tournament-style payout structures using exponential growth

In summary: You can find the exact values for each position by integrating the function between position-1 and position.In summary, the conversation is about devising a payout structure for a tournament. The payout will be an exponentially sloping function where 20% of the entrants will be paid. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a quadratic function instead and provides a formula for finding the values of each position in the payout structure.
rxbandits
Hello!

Excuse me for my very basic understanding of math. I'll try and present my idea and problem clearly.

I'd like to devise a payout structure for a tournament.

20% of the entrants will be paid. The payout will be an exponentially sloping function. The payout is in percentages that equal 100%; structured (approximately) in this way:

If there were 35 entrants, 7 places would be paid.

1st would get 37%
2nd would get 26%
3rd would get 17%
4th would get 10%
5th would get 5%
6th would get 3%
7th would get 2%

How can I represent this with a formula when I have 2,000 entrants? What about 6 entrants?

To say it one other way: 20% of the field will be paid a percentage based on a formula that slopes in the way I've illustrated above with the 7 places paid example.

7 places paid with the rate of 2-3-5-10-17-26-37 is a function I came up with based loosely on 1-4-9-16-25-36 or 12-22-32-42-52-62 (with some number fudging added to make the total equal 100% - though there has to be a more elegant way to do that...)

Thanks so much for any guidance you can offer!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Poker tournament payouts often follow this type of "exponential" structure. But I'm wondering if there's an acceptable formula to describe it or if the numbers poker tournament directors come up with are entirely arbitrary. http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/payouts.asp

Putting it an entirely different/simpler way:

On the pic of the graph attached (y=x2), there are 7 equidistant points marked. The sum of all the points = 1.

What are the values for the individual points?
What is the formula used to find the values of these points?

Thanks again, sorry if muddled. :redface:

Attachments

• Parabola_Payout_7.png
    Parabola_Payout_7.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 803
So you do not want "exponential" behavior. You want "quadratic" behavior instead?

For exponential behavior, each contestant's payout would be a fixed ratio greater than the next lower contestant's payout.

For quadratic behavior, each contestant's payout would be a linearly-increasing amount greater than the next lower contestant's payout.

1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36 = quadratic
1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 = exponential (also known as a geometric series).

Yes, my misunderstanding. :)

Hi did you solve this problem??

I think i understand what you want to do. Do you want the payout to decrease exponentially from first position down to last payout position?

Thanks William! No, the problem is not solved. I explain it best in Post 3 of this thread, what exactly I'm struggling with. I believe I'm looking for a polynomial function.

Im not sure about a polynomial function. I believe I've come up with a function that works. It a density function got from integrating the following logarithmic function,

f(x) = -Ln(x/n).

x is position. 1 is first place, 2 is second place etc.

n is the total number of payouts.

The integral of f is (x/n).(1-Ln(x/n)).

When you integrate the function f between limits 0 and n you get density or area under the curve equal to 1. This corresponds to 100% total payout. so for example to get the percentage for first position you integrate f between 0 and 1. In general to get the percentage for position i you integrate f between i-1 and i.

Im going to bed now but drop me a tread and ill explain more tomorrow.

Rgds

The problem reduces to finding a "quadratic" payout graph for the n people in the top 20% of the field.

That, in turn, reduces to taking the sum of the squares of the first n integers.

The sum of the squares of the first n integers is n (n+1) (2n+1) / 6. Call this "sum"

The fraction of the total payout for the lowest ranking person is 1/sum.
The fraction of the total payout for the next lowest ranking person is 4/sum.
The fraction of the total payout for the next lowest is 9/sum.
[...]
The fraction of the total payout for the highest ranking person is n2/sum

You can see that the fractions add to 1.

Sorry i made a typo in my function above..

f(x) = -Ln(x/n)/n

1. What is a tournament-style payout structure using exponential growth?

A tournament-style payout structure using exponential growth is a system where the prize money increases exponentially with each round of competition. This means that the prize money for the final round will be significantly higher than the initial rounds, creating a sense of urgency and motivation for competitors to advance in the tournament.

2. What are the benefits of using an exponential growth payout structure?

The main benefit of using an exponential growth payout structure is that it incentivizes competitors to perform at their best and strive for advancement in the tournament. It also allows for a larger prize pool and can generate more excitement and interest in the competition.

3. How does the prize money increase in an exponential growth payout structure?

In an exponential growth payout structure, the prize money typically increases by a predetermined percentage with each round. For example, the prize money may double with each round, starting at $100 for the first round and increasing to $200 for the second round, $400 for the third round, and so on.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an exponential growth payout structure?

One potential disadvantage of an exponential growth payout structure is that it may not be sustainable for all types of tournaments. If there are not enough competitors or resources to support a large prize pool, the exponential growth may become unsustainable and lead to financial issues for the organizers.

5. How can I calculate the prize money for each round in an exponential growth payout structure?

To calculate the prize money for each round, you will need to determine the initial prize amount, the percentage increase for each round, and the total number of rounds. From there, you can use a simple formula to calculate the prize money for each round: Initial Prize Amount x (Percentage Increase)^Round Number. Make sure to round the final amount to the nearest whole number.