What is the best location on a 60' hinged tower to attach a line for lifting?

In summary: Hi all,The height of the pulley connection points on my roof are 33' 8" and 38' 5". The height of the tower is 66' 8". Thanks for your response. It helps to think the process through.
Don Wiley
Hello folks,
I am new to the forum and have read threads on different topics that have help me out with problems with my projects. Each of the threads I read everyone was helpful and friendly, so I decided I would try with one of my own problems.

I read one thread that has given some of the info I need but not all. What I have is a 60' antenna tower triangular shaped weighing roughly 300 lbs. The base is hinged onto a cement base footing roughly 18" by 18" by 36". I am trying to determine the best location on the tower to attach my line to pull the tower up. I may be using the formula wrong but this is what I get: 300 * (30/7base section height) = 1284. My questions:

If I move the location to say 25' or 20' will this formula hold?
When a pass the 40 degree mark raising the tower does this weight decrease as well as the line tension?

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don Wiley said:
I am trying to determine the best location on the tower to attach my line to pull the tower up.

What's happening at the other end of the line? Are you holding it in your hands? Do you have room to walk along the ground as you pull the tower up ? - or must you stand still ?

Stephen Tashi said:
What's happening at the other end of the line? Are you holding it in your hands? Do you have room to walk along the ground as you pull the tower up ? - or must you stand still ?
Thanks for your response. I have a 3/4 ton rope puller I am using to pull the tower up to the house bracket. The 1/2" rope is three strand rated for 6,500 lbs. On my roof there are two antenna tripods I plan on using a pulley on each to guide the rope to the other side of the house, where I plan on anchoring the other end of the puller to a large tree. There is room for someone to walk beside the tower but I was hoping the puller would be sufficient enough, but I need to lesson the side to side movement of the tower if I can.

Don Wiley said:
On my roof there are two antenna tripods I plan on using a pulley on each to guide the rope to the other side of the house, where I plan on anchoring the other end of the puller to a large tree. There is room for someone to walk beside the tower but I was hoping the puller would be sufficient enough, but I need to lesson the side to side movement of the tower if I can.

To do a mathematical analysis of the problem would require diagrams of the set-up, or a very detailed description.

Can you simply experiment with various schemes for attaching the line - without breaking something in the process?

Don Wiley said:
but I need to lesson the side to side movement of the tower if I can.
How sturdy is the hinge against side-to-side movement? I'd think you would want 3 lines for pulling it up, and at least 1 line for slowing and stopping it at the top. Raising large antennas takes positive control at all angles (don't ask me how I know this...). How does the antenna get stopped and locked in the upright position?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jHfyrookXzc/maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

What is the height above the ground of your two pulley connection points?

JBA said:
What is the height above the ground of your two pulley connection points?
Hi all,
Thanks for all the questions. It helps to think the process through.

To begin the hinges are 1/4" think flat steel which is 1 1/4" wide and 36" long. There will be a steel plate on each side of the base tower section legs. I have debated getting 3/8" think steel or thicker just to make sure. The hinges are almost 3" above the top of the footing.
I was thinking that some of the other questions asked would be better answered with some pictures and diagrams. I'll put that together tonight and post it for everyone to take a look at. It is said a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks again and standby for the pictures.

1. How much weight can a 60' hinged tower lift?

The maximum weight that a 60' hinged tower can lift depends on various factors such as the design, materials used, and the strength of the hinges. It is important to consult with an engineer and follow safety guidelines when determining the weight capacity of a hinged tower.

2. Can a hinged tower be lifted using a crane?

Yes, a hinged tower can be lifted using a crane. However, the crane must be properly sized and have sufficient lifting capacity to handle the weight of the tower. It is also important to follow proper lifting techniques and safety protocols when using a crane to lift a hinged tower.

3. What is the purpose of a hinged tower?

A hinged tower is typically used for communication, such as supporting antennas or satellite dishes. It can also be used for other purposes such as supporting wind turbines or observation platforms. The hinged design allows for easy maintenance and repair of equipment mounted on the tower.

4. How is a hinged tower designed to withstand wind and other forces?

A hinged tower is designed to withstand wind and other forces by using a combination of materials, such as steel or aluminum, and a sturdy hinge mechanism. The tower is also anchored to a stable foundation to provide additional support. Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to ensure that the tower can withstand the expected forces.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when lifting a hinged tower?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when lifting a hinged tower. These include ensuring that the crane and lifting equipment are properly sized and maintained, following proper lifting procedures, and having a team of trained professionals to oversee the lifting process. It is also important to have safety measures in place to protect workers and the surrounding area in case of any accidents or equipment failures.