Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toxic Friends

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1

rhody

Gold Member

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44205822/ns/today-today_health/t/toxic-friends-people-endure-poisonous-pals/" [Broken]
    So here is a small taste, I am sure you have many interesting stories. I hope this thread has a long happy toxic life. hehe...

Rhody... :devil:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've had to scrape off some people that latched onto me.

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad I'm retired and sort of secluded out here. No more scraping for me.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Relatives are the worst, though I have have had to cut loose some "friends" that took advantage of my trust. One jerk used to tell his wife (A woman that I loved!) that he was staying with me when in fact I hadn't even seen him in weeks. When I found that out, I cut him off.

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

People who go to the chat room know about my toxic friends.

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, and there's this guy in chat every sunday who always complains about his toxic friends and stupid students. We should permanently ban hi... Oh, hi peng!! o:)

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

DOOD. So I got my evaluations for last semester. I kept getting "Jonathan is so nice, he knows his stuff, he always helps, he's very nice, etc etc blah blah blah". Then one random person said "He is pretentious and arrogant".

What the hell. Talk about a toxic student.

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That was probably the student with whom you stapled a mcdonalds application to his lab report...

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9
    Pff, who needs friends when you can love yourself. =]

11. Aug 30, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Perv.

12. Aug 30, 2011 #11
    *Pretentious and subjective comment.*

13. Aug 30, 2011 #12

rhody

Gold Member

One word answers aren't going to cut it, Interesting stories are what this thread is supposed to be about about. No more posts less than three meaningful sentences or more. Now, that's an order... so.. get busy and bring it...

Rhody... :devil:

14. Aug 30, 2011 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes sir!

15. Aug 30, 2011 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that this is not a scientific survey. People with stories to tell were surely more likely to respond.

A person is lucky to have a few true friends over the course of their life.

16. Aug 30, 2011 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't mind people who muck things up a bit. Problem is, people who muck things up tend to be emotionally unstable and abuse friendships, and I can't handle that.

17. Aug 30, 2011 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hell. I was married to one. Child Support=Gambling fund

18. Aug 31, 2011 #17

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Nah, it was the only student who recognized Peng at PF chat, and learned what he REALLY thinks.

Even if I ever had toxic friends, they are long gone from my life. So long I don't remember them.

19. Aug 31, 2011 #18

chiro

Science Advisor

I don't have the time or energy to put up with the emotional drainers, or the other types.

As a result I live in a kind of relative isolation, and I'm a lot happier with a certain "inner peace" now, but then again for most of my life I have more or less lived in relative obscurity.

It's funny though because many times I find that people in large groups can act really really stupid, but when you talk to people one on one, you often find that they can be a different person, often better than what they are in the spotlight.

I think its healthy in a way though to keep meeting different kinds of people and not sticking with the same bunch your whole life: you get more of a perspective on life in general and you begin to realize what is really "out there" in terms of the world.

20. Sep 1, 2011 #19
    Those who require drugs in a friendship with a person trying to quit -- literally toxic!

Distant second place, people you love who manipulate.

Third, co-dependents (see second).

21. Sep 2, 2011 #20
    "At one point." If they're counting the pre-K to 12 years... ... ... well, why isn't it 100%?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook