Trace as a product of operators

In summary, the confusion is about index calculation in equation 8.25 of the Mandl QFT textbook. The individual is seeking a detailed explanation for the given equality, with a correction for a missing factor. They also mention that they are learning index notation from scratch and ask for patience.
intervoxel
I'm confused about index calculation in eq. 8.25, Mandl QFT textbook. Can anyone give me a detailed explanation showing the equality below?

[itex]X=\frac{1}{2}A_{\delta \alpha}^+(\bf{p'})\Gamma_{\alpha \beta}(\bf{p'})A_{\beta \gamma}^+(\bf{p})\widetilde{\Gamma}_{\gamma\delta}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}Tr[A^+(\bf{p'})\Gamma A^+(\bf{p})][/itex]

Please be patient, I'm learning index notation from scratch.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
intervoxel said:
I'm confused about index calculation in eq. 8.25, Mandl QFT textbook. Can anyone give me a detailed explanation showing the equality below?

[itex]X=\frac{1}{2}A_{\delta \alpha}^+(\bf{p'})\Gamma_{\alpha \beta}(\bf{p'})A_{\beta \gamma}^+(\bf{p})\widetilde{\Gamma}_{\gamma\delta}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}Tr[A^+(\bf{p'})\Gamma A^+(\bf{p})][/itex]

Please be patient, I'm learning index notation from scratch.

Thanks.

A factor is missing in your second formula. You can get the corrected formula by application of [tex] Tr A = A_{jj}[/tex] and [tex](AB)_{jk}=A_{jl}B_{lk}[/tex].

O.k. and

[itex]Tr(XY^T)=\sum_{i,j} X_{i,j}Y_{i,j}[/itex]

Thank you.

1. What is the definition of trace as a product of operators?

Trace as a product of operators refers to the sum of the diagonal elements of the matrix resulting from the product of two linear operators. In other words, it is the sum of the eigenvalues of the matrix.

2. Why is trace as a product of operators important in linear algebra?

Trace as a product of operators is important because it provides a way to measure the similarity between two linear operators. It also has applications in various areas such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and control theory.

3. How is trace as a product of operators calculated?

To calculate the trace as a product of operators, you first find the product of the two linear operators. Then, you take the sum of the diagonal elements of the resulting matrix. This sum is the trace as a product of operators.

4. Can trace as a product of operators be negative?

Yes, trace as a product of operators can be negative. The trace is simply the sum of the eigenvalues, which can be positive, negative, or zero. Therefore, the trace as a product of operators can also be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What is the relationship between trace as a product of operators and determinant?

The trace as a product of operators is related to the determinant of the product of the operators. Specifically, the trace is equal to the determinant if and only if the operators commute. Otherwise, the trace is equal to the negative of the determinant.