Transfer Characteristics of Real and Ideal Diodes (and more sources)

In summary: I know it's a double post. But I really need to know if I'm correct in thinking this.In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for information on the transfer characteristics of real and ideal diodes, as well as seeking help in understanding diode applications, transfer characteristics, diode modelling, amplifiers, and the mathematics associated with digital electronics. Wikipedia's entry on diodes was recommended as a helpful resource, along with a link to an explanation on ripple voltage for both half-wave and full-wave rectifiers. An example was also provided to illustrate how to calculate the capacitance needed for a half-wave rectifier with a desired ripple.
eximius
I'm looking for information regarding the "Transfer Characteristics of Real and Ideal Diodes". I've tried google and the section on this site for learning material, but I've failed to find a site that displays both transfer characteristics and explains them. I was hoping that someone would have a site that discussed both or supply me with the information.

I'm also looking for a general site that would help me with UK university level electronic engineering work. Things such as diode applications, transfer characteristics, diode modelling, amplifiers and the maths associated with digital electronics such as boolean expressions, logic gates, truth tables and Karnaugh maps.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
eximius said:
I'm looking for information regarding the "Transfer Characteristics of Real and Ideal Diodes". I've tried google and the section on this site for learning material, but I've failed to find a site that displays both transfer characteristics and explains them. I was hoping that someone would have a site that discussed both or supply me with the information.

I'm also looking for a general site that would help me with UK university level electronic engineering work. Things such as diode applications, transfer characteristics, diode modelling, amplifiers and the maths associated with digital electronics such as boolean expressions, logic gates, truth tables and Karnaugh maps.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

Wikipedia's intro to diodes is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

For ideal diodes, they would not have any reverse breakdown, and no reverse leakage current Is. They would also have a right-angle break at the forward voltage Vf, going from no conduction to full conduction (zero resistance).

Ideally, they wouldn't even have a forward voltage drop.

Any forward voltage on them would produce full conduction.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/real%20vs%20ideal%20diode.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Massive help :)

Rather than starting a new thread. Could someone help me with the equation for the voltage ripple in a half wave rectifier? I have the full wave rectifier equation. But I can't find the half wave one anywhere on the internet. People only seem to be interested in the ripple factor.

Thanks again.

Ripple voltage is covered in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical )

Click on it, then see under "time domain ripple".

Note that C is in Farads.

Last edited by a moderator:
So half-wave ripple = T/RlC

as r = dVl/Vm
and dVl = TVm/RlC

And full-wave ripple = T/2RlC

But I'm still uncertain about the Vm. Is it simply the peak voltage? As in points 1 on the sine wave?

I've got an example that seems to work with r = T/RlC

With a half-wave rectifier, calculate the capacitance needed for a ripple of 10% given an applied signal frequency of 50Hz and a load resistance of 500ohms.

r = T/RlC r = 10% = 0.01, Rl = 500ohms, T=1/f=1/50

.:.

0.01 = (1/50)/(500*C)
5*C = 1/50
C = 1/250 F
C = 4x10-3 F
C = 4mF

Am I correct in thinking this?

Bump, sorry.

1. What is the difference between real and ideal diodes?

Real diodes have a small voltage drop and a non-zero resistance, while ideal diodes have zero voltage drop and infinite resistance.

2. How do the transfer characteristics of real and ideal diodes differ?

The transfer characteristic is the relationship between the input voltage and the output current of a diode. For real diodes, this relationship is not a perfect one-to-one ratio, while for ideal diodes, it is.

3. What are the factors that affect the transfer characteristics of real diodes?

The transfer characteristics of real diodes can be affected by temperature, forward voltage, and current. These factors can cause changes in the diode's resistance and alter its transfer characteristic.

4. How do we measure and analyze the transfer characteristics of diodes?

The transfer characteristics of diodes can be measured using a circuit that applies different input voltages and measures the corresponding output current. This data can then be plotted on a graph to analyze the diode's behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the transfer characteristics of diodes?

The transfer characteristics of diodes are important in designing and using electronic circuits, as they can help determine the diode's behavior and how it will affect the overall circuit. Understanding these characteristics is crucial for engineers and scientists working in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems.