Transfer function=Laplace of the impulse response?

In summary: This was very helpful because it showed me that the convolution theorem is true for continuous time systems. In summary, the convolution theorem is true for continuous time systems.
xorg
I saw in some books, that:
Y(s)/X(s) = H(s)
where,
Y(s) is the laplace of the output
X(s) is the laplace of the input
H(s) is the laplace of impulse response.

How to prove it? In the book Benjamin Kuo, he only mentions it without proof, and did not find it in the book of Oppennheim.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For continuous-time systems, you can represent the impulse input using the Dirac delta function:
$$
x(t) = \delta(t)
$$
Since:
$$
X(s) = \mathcal{L}\{x(t)\}(s) = \mathcal{L}\{\delta(t)\}(s) = 1
$$
It follows that the Laplace transform of its impulse response ##Y(s)## gives its transfer function:
$$
Y(s) = H(s)X(s) = H(s)
$$

Likes xorg
milesyoung said:
For continuous-time systems, you can represent the impulse input using the Dirac delta function:
$$
x(t) = \delta(t)
$$
Since:
$$
X(s) = \mathcal{L}\{x(t)\}(s) = \mathcal{L}\{\delta(t)\}(s) = 1
$$
It follows that the Laplace transform of its impulse response ##Y(s)## gives its transfer function:
$$
Y(s) = H(s)X(s) = H(s)
$$

Thanks, helped me.

Another way:
$$ y(t) = x(t) \ast h(t) $$
$$ \mathcal{L}\{y(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{x(t) \ast h(t)\} $$
$$ \mathcal{L}\{y(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{x(t)\}\mathcal{L}\{h(t)\} $$
$$ Y(s) = H(s)X(s) $$

Last edited:
xorg said:
Another way:
$$ y(t) = x(t) \ast h(t) $$
$$ \mathcal{L}\{y(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{x(t) \ast h(t)\} $$
$$ \mathcal{L}\{y(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{x(t)\}\mathcal{L}\{h(t)\} $$
$$ Y(s) = H(s)X(s) $$
Not sure I understand. Are you looking for a proof of the convolution theorem?

Likes xorg
First I tried to find a way to understand why H (s) is the Laplace of impulse response.
The first thing I thought was that I should start by the convolution of x and h.
Then you answered me in a way, and a few hours later I saw this on a website:
$$ \mathcal {L} \{x (t) \ast h (t) \} = \mathcal {L} \{x (t) \} \mathcal {L} \{h (t) \} $$

1. What is a transfer function in the context of Laplace transforms?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of Laplace transforms, it is the ratio of the output of a system to its input in the frequency domain.

2. How is the transfer function related to the impulse response?

The transfer function is equal to the Laplace transform of the impulse response. This means that the transfer function can be calculated by taking the Laplace transform of the impulse response function.

3. What information can be obtained from a transfer function?

A transfer function provides information about the behavior of a system in the frequency domain. It can be used to determine the system's stability, frequency response, and overall performance.

4. How is the transfer function used in control systems?

In control systems, the transfer function is used to design and analyze the performance of a system. It is a crucial tool for understanding the dynamics and stability of a system, and for designing controllers to achieve desired system behavior.

5. Can the transfer function be used to analyze nonlinear systems?

No, the transfer function can only be used to analyze linear time-invariant systems. Nonlinear systems require more complex mathematical tools, such as differential equations, to analyze their behavior.