Why is a transfer function denoted by 'H'?

In summary: Maybe because of the similarity to the letter U?In summary, the letter H is used to denote the Laplace transform of the impulse response because it is a simple and easily remembered notation.
Gonzo17
During a basic lecture about system design the transfer function H(s) was discussed. The question was raised why the letter 'H' is used for this...

Sounds weird, but I did start to think about it... Indeed in many books and publications the letter H (besides sometimes G(ain)) is used to describe the transfer function.

I googled around but I didn't come further than the fact that H(s) is the Laplace transform of the impulse response, denoted by h(t). Lovely explanation, but of course it moves the problem to where 'h' comes from in the impulse response...

Maybe I am looking over something extremely trivial, but I can't seem to get around it. Anybody any idea what the (historical) reason for this mysterious 'H' is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Might have something to do with Hilbert Transforms.

Just a wild guess.

The transform tables are typically based on F and G.
H is the next letter in the alphabet that has no other significant meaning.
So I suspect H was chosen to avoid ambiguity with F and G (and other symbols).

An alternative interpretation is that a typical simple electronic circuit filter looks like an H on its side.

That's probably right ^
Just a whimsical notation that stuck

Thanks for the suggestions...

It is possible that it's just the boring F-G-H-thing mentioned above. But if anybody knows of another story, I'll be more than happy to hear it! :-)

Once upon a time I googled why U is sometimes used for voltage instead of V.
The only thing I could find, is to distinguish the unit volt from the quantity voltage.
I'd still be interested in a better explanation. ;)

Also T wouldn't work because transfer functions are often functions of time, you can have H(t), and h(t), but it's confusing to have T(t) and t(t)

Related to Why is a transfer function denoted by 'H'?

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation that describes how the input of a system is transformed into the output of that system. It is commonly used in engineering and science to analyze and design systems.

2. Why is 'H' used to denote a transfer function?

The letter 'H' is used to denote a transfer function because it stands for 'Hausdorff', the name of a German mathematician who made significant contributions to the field of functional analysis, which includes the study of transfer functions.

3. Is 'H' the only letter that can be used to represent a transfer function?

No, 'H' is not the only letter that can be used to represent a transfer function. Other commonly used notations include 'G', 'T', and 'F'. However, 'H' is the most widely used notation and is often used in textbooks and literature.

4. Are there any specific properties associated with the letter 'H' in a transfer function?

No, there are no specific properties associated with the letter 'H' in a transfer function. The choice of notation is arbitrary and does not affect the behavior or characteristics of the transfer function.

5. Can a transfer function be represented by a symbol other than a letter?

Yes, a transfer function can be represented by symbols other than letters, such as Greek letters or mathematical symbols. However, the use of a letter as a notation is preferred as it is more concise and easily recognizable.