Effect of zeros on impulse response

In summary: The current in the inductor will be infinite at the point where the impulse hits it, and the voltage across the inductor will be infinite as well. Yep, that makes sense.In summary, the transfer function of a passive bandpass filter has one zero and two poles. The filter is: Signal -> L -> C -> R -> Gnd. Where the signal is the input and the voltage across R is the output. The initial value theorem states that it's impulse response has an initial value of R/L.
littlebilly91
The transfer function of a passive bandpass filter has one zero and two poles.

The filter is:
Signal -> L -> C -> R -> Gnd,
where the signal is the input and the voltage across R is the output.

[itex]H(s) = \frac{sRC}{s^2LC+sRC+1}[/itex]

Initial value theorem states that it's impulse response has an initial value of R/L. How can this be? The system filters out high frequencies, so it should not be able to change its voltage instantaneously in response to an impulse.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Divide numerator and denominator by s and re-compute the initial value.

You are right. Has me stumped at the moment.

The step response (Vin = 1/s) would give zero. Strange.

OK --- Since the impulse is infinite, there is finite current in the inductor at time 0.

It has to do with the integral of the dirac delta function, which is the heaviside step function.
If you go to the wikipedia page for rl circuit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RL_circuit and look at the equation for the resistor current in the impulse response section, you can figure it out. The circuit topology is different, but by the logic you (and I) were applying you would expect the resistor current to be 0 at time 0, which it isn't.

I don't see what was wrong with our logic, though. The current can't change instantaneously through the inductor. Prior to the impulse, the current is zero. Once the impulse occurs, it shouldn't be able to jump. It follows that the current in the inductor is equal to the current in the resistor, and thus the voltage should be zero.

I see the math, and I've worked it myself both in this example and in the original and sure enough, there is a step function in the response. Does it make sense to you?

Yes. It makes sense that the sort of impulse that would have a laplace transform of 1 would be able to cause a current step function in an inductor. It doesn't exist in nature.

An impulse contains all frequencies = 1, and contains infinite energy. It the limit you get a step function across an integrator.

1. How do zeros affect the impulse response of a system?

Zeros in a system affect the impulse response by modifying the amplitude and phase of the output signal. They can either amplify or attenuate certain frequencies in the system.

2. What is the significance of zeros in a system's impulse response?

Zeros play a crucial role in determining the stability, causality, and time-domain behavior of a system. They can also affect the system's frequency response and its ability to reject certain frequencies.

3. Can zeros in a system's impulse response be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, zeros can be controlled and manipulated by adjusting the system's transfer function. This can be done by adding or removing poles and zeros in the transfer function to achieve the desired response.

4. How do multiple zeros in a system's impulse response affect the overall response?

Multiple zeros in a system's impulse response can have a significant impact on the response. They can create resonances, produce sharp peaks or dips in the frequency response, and cause non-minimum phase behavior.

5. What is the difference between a zero and a pole in a system's impulse response?

Zeros and poles are two types of critical points in a system's transfer function. Zeros represent frequencies at which the output is zero, while poles represent frequencies at which the system's response becomes infinite. Zeros affect the output amplitude and phase, while poles affect the system's stability and causality.