Transfer Function of a FET Differential Amplifier

In summary: But since I1 is always the same current, it doesn't "respond" to changes in Vin.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an ideal current source and its operation when the input voltage is changed. The summary also mentions a standard CS source stage with a current source and how it operates with a varying resistance controlled by VGS. The conclusion is that while I1 remains constant, Vout changes as a function of Vin.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

3OEfR.png

[Taken from Razavi's Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits 2nd edition]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not too sure what to do with this question. Here's what I think of the circuit

This doesn't look like a differential amplifier to me since there's only 1 input. From what, I see, M1 has a constant DC bias current through it of I1. I see the following relationship
$$I_2=I_{SS}-I_1$$
Leading to,
$$V_{out2}=V_{DD}-(I_{SS}-I_1)R_1$$

Note that I2 is the current through R1 and M2

As Vin small signal changes, this I1 is perturbed, which in turn perturbs I_2 which in turns adjusts voltage drop across R1 which leads to Vout2 having a small-signal change. Now, I'm not sure how to get Vout1/Vin or Vout2/Vin. I was thinking of maybe adjusting the equation up there and sub in the Id equation for I1 but that would leave me with a quadratic and squared Vin term.

Also if there's any experienced analog people out there. Is my thought process correct for understanding the circuit or along the right lines?

Attachments

• 3OEfR.png
    3OEfR.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:
As Vin small signal changes, this I1 is perturbed, which in turn perturbs I_2 ...

But you are given that I1 is an ideal current source. That means it is a constant current regardless of Vin and Vout1, so changes in Vin cannot "perturb" I1.

phyzguy said:
But you are given that I1 is an ideal current source. That means it is a constant current regardless of Vin and Vout1, so changes in Vin cannot "perturb" I1.

Hmm good point. In that case then, I have another question. What about like a standard CS source stage with a current source like this
COMMON-SOURCE+STAGE+with+current-source+load.jpg

How do these circuits operate then?

Attachments

• COMMON-SOURCE+STAGE+with+current-source+load.jpg
    COMMON-SOURCE+STAGE+with+current-source+load.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 641
If M1 between D and S appears as a variable resistance controlled by VGS then the voltage across that varying resistance, VDS, can vary even while ID is held fixed.

CoolDude420 said:
Hmm good point. In that case then, I have another question. What about like a standard CS source stage with a current source like this()
How do these circuits operate then?

I1 doesn't change, but Vout does change as a function of Vin.

In your original circuit, I didn't say Vout1 doesn't change. It does change as you change Vin.

1. What is a transfer function of a FET differential amplifier?

A transfer function of a FET differential amplifier is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of the amplifier. It describes the amplifier's ability to amplify, attenuate, or phase shift the input signal.

2. How is the transfer function of a FET differential amplifier different from other amplifiers?

The transfer function of a FET differential amplifier is unique because it uses field-effect transistors (FETs) instead of bipolar junction transistors (BJTs). This allows for higher input impedance, lower noise, and wider bandwidth compared to BJT amplifiers.

3. What factors affect the transfer function of a FET differential amplifier?

The transfer function of a FET differential amplifier can be affected by the FET characteristics, such as transconductance and channel length, as well as external factors like biasing, load resistance, and parasitic capacitance.

4. How is the transfer function of a FET differential amplifier calculated?

The transfer function of a FET differential amplifier can be calculated using the small-signal equivalent circuit model, which includes the FET transconductance, load resistance, and other circuit parameters. Alternatively, it can also be measured experimentally using a function generator and oscilloscope.

5. What applications is the transfer function of a FET differential amplifier commonly used for?

The transfer function of a FET differential amplifier is commonly used in various electronic circuits, such as audio amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, and signal processing circuits. It is also used in communication systems, such as radio transmitters and receivers, to amplify and filter signals.