1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the transfer function for a difference amplifier

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the transfer function of the attached circuit (this isn't a homework question so I don't know if there's even a solution, but last time I posted this type of question on the EE forum, it was redirected here)

2. Relevant equations

I know it needs to be eventually of the form Vo/Vin and I know how to solve for Vo but I can't seem to get it as Vo/Vin. If it isn't possible, how would one describe this circuit's transfer function?

Z1=R1
    Z2=R2+1/(s*C)

3. The attempt at a solution

Vo=(Z2/Z1)(5V-Vin)+5V

Vin is the measured signal from the output of a buck converter and 5V is the reference signal, if that helps at all. The closest I've somewhat gotten is
    (Vo-5)/(5-Vin)=Z2/Z1

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2
    The only other thing I can think of would be just letting the transfer function be -(Z2/Z1) with an offset afterwards, but this seems weird...

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I suspect that the circuit is not going to behave linearly so that a nice neat single expression transfer function for the behavior is not going to be possible. Consider...

Suppose for a moment that the input is open (Vin disconnected: an open circuit) when the power is first applied. What will happen to Vo?

The series capacitor is going to integrate any current through R1 (the top R1; You have two R1's in your circuit diagram) that results from the difference between Vin and 5 V. A continuous input Vin that is not exactly 5 V is going to lead to saturation issues... What happens when Vo hits a power rail?

5. Apr 5, 2017 #4
    Hello qneill, thanks for responding to my question. I'm not too sure I follow your suggestions, however, I came upon this http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva662/slva662.pdf, which has a type II compensator which looks similar to the circuit I have. They kind of just neglect Vref in their transfer function, would I be able to do the same for mine?

6. Apr 5, 2017 #5

gneill

It looks like they are only looking at the AC transfer function, which is why Vref is ignored (A DC source is just a short circuit to AC). Vref effectively places the two op-amp inputs at ground potential as far as AC is concerned. I suppose you could do the same if your goal is a similar analysis.

7. Apr 5, 2017 #6
    Yeah, the goal is just to find out which components determine the poles and zero's

8. Apr 5, 2017 #7

gneill

Okay. So "short out" Vref for the AC model and analyze the circuit.

9. Apr 5, 2017 #8

Will do, makes this MUCH easier. thanks!

10. Apr 13, 2017 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The op amp is most likely operated from a single supply, necessitating the 5V input bias. The input is considered "zero" at +5VDC.

This circuit saturates for any finite offset voltage and/or mismatch between dc input voltages (dc input ≠ +5V exactly) so is useless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted