1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer Function of Block Diagram

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The block diagram of a PM DC servo motor with current loop feedback is shown below:

QWERTY.jpg

If Ki is adjusted such that J(Ki+R)2 >> 4KTKbL, show that the transfer function may be approximated by

G(s) = (1/Kb) / (τms+1)(τes+1),

where

τm = J(R+Ki) / KTKb

τe = L / (R+Ki)

3. The attempt at a solution

I simplified the block diagram and got the transfer function:

G(s) = Kt / (JLs2 + J(R + Ki)s + KtKb)

Then I tried to factor the denominator. When using the quadratic formula, I found:

(-JR - JKi) +/- sqrt( J[ J(R+Ki)2 - 4KtKbL]) / 2JL

Assuming the conditions presented for Ki, I cancelled out the 4KtKbL.

Am I on the right path? In the end, I still couldn't get the transfer function presented in the homework.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2
    That seems fine.

Those are just the roots, though. If ##ax^2 + bx + c## is your polynomial, then its factored form is ##a(x - x_1)(x - x_2)##, where ##x_1## and ##x_2## are its roots.

I can't either. Going your route, and I think the approximation shown is highly suggestive of that, I get the form:
    $$
    \frac{\dot{\theta}(s)}{V(s)} = \frac{\frac{1}{K_b}}{\tau_m s (\tau_e s + 1)}
    $$
    Sort of looks like a typo, but maybe there's another route I'm just not seeing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted