Struggling with Transfer Functions? Here's How to Improve Your Skills!

In summary, the person confesses to being terrible at deriving transfer functions in electronics and is seeking tips on how to improve this skill. They mention feeling overwhelmed when trying to analyze circuits like the one provided and are unsure how to calculate the various parameters. They have searched for examples but have not found any helpful resources.
bitrex
Hi everyone - I've been self-studying electronics for the past couple years and I have a confession to make: I'm terrible at deriving transfer functions. I'd really like to improve at it, but every time I see a circuit like the following (to analyze for Z parameters, for example) I start to panic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Smal-signal_mirror_circuit.png

Is some trick to go about analyzing a circuit like that? Or just draw up the nodes and try to grind it through with KCL? Any tips on how to get better at this important skill would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bitrex said:
Hi everyone - I've been self-studying electronics for the past couple years and I have a confession to make: I'm terrible at deriving transfer functions. I'd really like to improve at it, but every time I see a circuit like the following (to analyze for Z parameters, for example) I start to panic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Smal-signal_mirror_circuit.png

Is some trick to go about analyzing a circuit like that? Or just draw up the nodes and try to grind it through with KCL? Any tips on how to get better at this important skill would be appreciated.

There may be some tricks that can help, but I just knee-jerk go straight to the KCL equations.

The problem is with these two-port parameter things I never understand what to calculate - ok I understand I have to for example open circuit I2 in the example to find R21, but how do I calculate the voltage there if that node is open circuited? And what is I1 supposed to be? It's all really confusing. I'm sure if I could see a few worked examples it would make sense, but I don't have a textbook that covers this topic and I've searched the web for hours to no avail. Whatever I do, I can never seem to follow how those complicated expressions for the various parameters are obtained. :grumpy:

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation used to describe the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is commonly used in engineering and science to analyze and design systems such as electronic circuits, control systems, and signal processing systems.

2. How do I know if there is trouble with the transfer function?

If the transfer function does not accurately represent the behavior of the system, there may be trouble with the transfer function. This can be identified by comparing the predicted output of the system using the transfer function to the actual output of the system.

3. What are some common sources of trouble with transfer functions?

Some common sources of trouble with transfer functions include incorrect assumptions about the system's behavior, inaccurate measurements or data, and incorrect mathematical calculations or models.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with a transfer function?

To troubleshoot issues with a transfer function, it is important to carefully review the assumptions, measurements, and calculations used to create the transfer function. It may also be helpful to compare the transfer function to other models or experimental data to identify any discrepancies.

5. Can a transfer function be modified to improve its accuracy?

Yes, a transfer function can be modified by adjusting the assumptions, measurements, or calculations used to create it. It may also be possible to use a more complex or accurate model to improve the transfer function's accuracy.