Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer problem (maximum number of Mbit/s)

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    I have a spectrum of 900khz that is divided into channels of 4kHz each. That makes 225 channels. Then each channel can transfer 4000 symbols/sec. I will be using the QAM-256 and that allows 8 bits/symbol. That means each channel can transfer 4000*8= 32e3 bit/s. And the channels in total makes 32e3*225=7.2e6 That makes the transfer rate 7.2 Mbit/s. Is that correct? Is it impossible to go up to 24 Mbit with my current settings or am I thinking things wrong here??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2
    You are missing the effect of Signal-to-Noise ratio on the capacity of your channel. You can theoretically go to 24 Mbit/s if you have an SNR of > 83 dB on all your 4 kHz channels, and no interference between them... (the practical issues are significant!)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon–Hartley_theorem

... of course, this is the best you could do if there were no other implementation losses, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?