1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transform a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Transform the vector below from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates:

[tex]Q\,=\,\frac{\sqrt{x^2\,+\,y^2}}{\sqrt{x^2\,+\,y^2\,+\,z^2}}\,\hat{x}\,-\,\frac{y\,z}{x^2\,+\,y^2\,+\,z^2}\,\hat{z}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Use these equations:

[tex]A_{\rho}\,=\,\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,A_x\,cos\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]A_z\,=\,A_z[/tex]

[tex]x\,=\,\rho\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]y\,=\,\rho\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]Q_{\rho}\,=\,\frac{\sqrt{\left(\rho\,cos\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,\left(\rho\,\sin\,\phi\right)^2}}{\sqrt{\left(\rho\,cos\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,\left(\rho\,\sin\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,z^2}}\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_{\rho}\,=\,\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}}\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_{\phi}\,=\,-\,\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}}\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_z\,=\,-\,\frac{z\,\rho\,sin\,\phi}{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}[/tex]

Does the above look correct?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi VinnyCee! :smile:
    No … these are the equations for an ordinary rotation of the x and y axes through an angle phi.
    hmm … you want polar coordinates of a vector along the x-axis … so what will its phi coordinate be? :smile:

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    Really? The equations for transforming from Cartesian to Cylindrical were given in the notes for the class in a matrix form and then solved out to a formula, the one below.

Here is a more detailed version for the [itex]\rho[/itex] coordinate transformation only:

[tex]A_{\rho}\,=\,\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A} \,=\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{x}\right)\,A_x\,+\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{y}\right)\,A_y\,+\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{z}\right)\,A_z\,=\,A_x\,cos\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

Is that incorrect? If so, what is the correct way to transform from Cartesian to Cylindrical?

I think the [itex]\phi[/itex] coordinate would be zero in this case since there is no y-component, right?

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here you've included the Ax cos(phi) term, but forgot the Ay sin(phi) term

6. Sep 5, 2008 #5
    [itex]A_y[/itex] is zero, so it need not be included, right?

7. Sep 5, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oops, I was confusing Ay and Az. My bad.

Your results from post #1 look okay to me. My understanding is the dot product of the vector Q with the coordinate unit-vector is the component of Q in that coordinate direction, which is exactly what you did.

On the other hand I'm hesitant to disagree with tiny-tim, since he knows this stuff pretty well also.

8. Sep 5, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right! for x > 0 and y = 0, phi must be zero. :smile:
    No!

A three-dimensional vector needs three coordinates …

if one coordinate is 0, you have to say so!
    No, that is correct … the other one is wrong.

9. Sep 5, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't that the same expression as in post #1 for Aρ ?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  10. Sep 5, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah … I meant the phi-coordinate [tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex] is wrong. :wink:

11. Sep 5, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Um, if we use the convention that φ's unit vector points counterclockwise, and φ is taken counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, then I agree with VinnyCee's formula.

12. Sep 5, 2008 #11
    So, does that mean that the original post contains the correct answer? Or is the [itex]Q_{\phi}[/itex] variable still going to be zero even though the formulas given produce the expression I wrote in the first post?

The expression written from a matrix in class is:

[tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A} \,=\,\left(\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\hat{x}\right)\,A_x\,+\,\left(\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\hat{y}\right)\,A_y\,+\,\left(\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\hat{z}\right)\,A_z\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

Since...

[tex]\hat{x}\,\cdot\,\hat{\phi}\,=\,-\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]\hat{y}\,\cdot\,\hat{\phi}\,=\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]\hat{z}\,\cdot\,\hat{\phi}\,=\,0[/tex]

Right?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  13. Sep 6, 2008 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry!

Hi VinnyCee and Redbelly98! :smile:

Yes, I completely mis-read the original question.

Your original answer was totally right.

Please ignore my previous posts.

Sorry. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?