Transform impedance of given network

In summary, the impedance of the given network is (s+1)/(s^2+3s+1). The components are in parallel when their leads share exactly two nodes and in series when the same current flows through all of them. The 1 Ohm resistor is not in series with the others and the final 1Ω resistor is NOT in series with the result. To simplify the circuit, redraw it after each simplification, replacing the simplified bits with a single generic impedance icon.
magnifik
I'm having trouble finding the impedance of the simple given network below:
10qarsh.png

I know Z(s) of each capacitor is 1/2s, but I'm confused on what's in series/parallel.
How can you tell? I know it has to do with the nodes. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Components are in parallel when their leads share exactly two nodes. That means they will always share the same potential difference across them.

Components are in series when the same current flows through all of them (no branching!).

i attempted to do (1/4 || 1/2s) + 1 + 1/2s and am getting (s^2 + 3s + 1)/(s(s+2)), but this is the incorrect answer :\ what am i doing wrong here?

Last edited:
magnifik said:
i attempted to do (1/4 || 1/2s) + 1 + 1/2s and am getting (s^2 + 3s + 1)/(s(s+2)), but this is the incorrect answer :\ what am i doing wrong here?

The 1 Ohm resistor is not in series with the others. This should be clear by the fact that it parallels the input!

You've got the 1/4 Ω resistor in parallel with the final 2F capacitor. This is correct. That net impedance in in series with the middle 2F capacitor, as you've calculated. But the final 1Ω resistor is NOT in series with the result.

If it's confusing, redraw your circuit after each simplification, replacing the simplified bits with a single generic impedance icon (say a rectangle to represent it).

ok, thank you!

(1/4 || 1/2s)
= (1/4)(1/2s) / (1/4 + 1/2s)
= 1/(2s + 4)

1/(2s + 4) + 1/2s
= (s+1)/(s^2+2 s)

(s+1)/(s^2+2 s) || 1
= (s+1)/(s^2+3 s+1)

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to current flow in an electrical circuit. It takes into account both resistance and reactance (capacitive or inductive) of the circuit components.

2. How is impedance transformed in a given network?

Impedance transformation is the process of changing the impedance of a network to a different value. This can be achieved by using various techniques such as series and parallel combinations of resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

3. Why is transforming impedance important?

Impedance transformation is important in order to match the impedance of a load to the source in a circuit. This allows for maximum power transfer and efficient operation of the circuit.

4. What factors affect the transformation of impedance?

The transformation of impedance is affected by the type and values of components used in the network, as well as the topology of the circuit. The frequency of the input signal also plays a role in impedance transformation.

5. How can the transformed impedance be calculated?

The transformed impedance can be calculated using various formulas and equations, depending on the specific network and components involved. These calculations take into account the type and values of the components, as well as the desired transformation ratio.