Solving Equation System for Surjective Linear Transformation: T:R^4->R^2

In summary, T is a surjective linear transformation that takes a vector in $\mathbb{R^2}$ and transforms it to a vector in $\mathbb{R}^4$. There are 2 free variables associated with this transformation.
Petrus
T is a surjective linear transformation \(\displaystyle T: \mathbb{R^4}-> \mathbb{R^2}\). Decide dim ker T. How many free variables do I get if I solve equation system \(\displaystyle T(x)=y\) for a vector \(\displaystyle y \in \mathbb{R^2}\)? Construct a transformation matrix belonging to a surjective linear transformation \(\displaystyle T:\mathbb{R^4}->\mathbb{R^2}\)

My progres:
Dim ker T=\(\displaystyle 4-2=2\)
Dim ker T=free variables that mean we got 2 free variables
I'm stuck at transformation matrix

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's keep it simple and try things we know. Consider the canonical basis for $\mathbb{R}^4$ and $\mathbb{R}^2$. Let's define $T: \mathbb{R}^4 \to \mathbb{R}^2$ with $T(1,0,0,0) = (1,0)$ and $T(0,1,0,0) = (0,1)$. Well, we've got the image cleared. Where else could we define the other vectors $(0,0,1,0), (0,0,0,1)$ to go? ;)

Well the matrix for $T$ will be a 2x4 matrix. Most 2x4 matrices you might come up with would do, as long as neither row was 0, and the second row was not a scalar multiple of the first. An easy one to come up with is this:

$[T] = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

which is the matrix relative to the standard bases for $\Bbb R^4$ and $\Bbb R^2$ for the surjective linear transformation:

$T(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = (x_1,x_2)$

Thanks!
May I ask one thing did we Really need to know it is surjective? I mean what I know is that T got an right inverse. I still Dont understand WHY would I need to know it's surjective?

Regards,

It is surjective because you have the linear transformation going from a bigger space to a smaller. If you had instead $T: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^4$ all you could have tops was an injective transformation, therefore you'd have a left inverse. ;)

Fantini said:
It is surjective because you have the linear transformation going from a bigger space to a smaller. If you had instead $T: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^4$ all you could have tops was an injective transformation, therefore you'd have a left inverse. ;)
Hmm I start to think that the injective transformation for transformation matrix \(\displaystyle T^{-1}\), but 2x4 Dont have determinant hence there is no inverse but is it correctly understand?

Edit:I keep forgeting it got right inverse but that right inverse is it that transformation matrix for
$T: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^4$
Regards,

Last edited:
Petrus said:
T is a surjective linear transformation \(\displaystyle T: \mathbb{R^4}-> \mathbb{R^2}\). Decide dim ker T. How many free variables do I get if I solve equation system \(\displaystyle T(x)=y\) for a vector \(\displaystyle y \in \mathbb{R^2}\)? Construct a transformation matrix belonging to a surjective linear transformation \(\displaystyle T:\mathbb{R^4}->\mathbb{R^2}\)

My progres:
Dim ker T=\(\displaystyle 4-2=2\)
Dim ker T=free variables that mean we got 2 free variables
I'm stuck at transformation matrix

Regards,

Since T is surjective (1,0) and (0,1) each must have at least 1 original.
Let's call those originals $\vec b_1$ respectively $\vec b_2$.
They will be independent of each other.
Now find 2 independent vectors in the kernel and let's call them $\vec b_3$ respectively $\vec b_4$.

Let's call B the matrix:
$$B=\begin{pmatrix}\vec b_1&\vec b_2&\vec b_3&\vec b4\end{pmatrix}$$
The matrix B is invertible because all vectors are independent.

Then:
$$TB= \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0&0 \\ 0&1&0&0\end{pmatrix}$$
And:
$$T=TBB^{-1}= \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0&0 \\ 0&1&0&0\end{pmatrix}B^{-1}$$

1. What is a surjective linear transformation?

A surjective linear transformation, also known as a surjective linear map, is a function that maps a vector space onto a smaller vector space. In other words, every element in the smaller vector space has a corresponding element in the larger vector space that is mapped to it.

2. What is the purpose of solving equation systems for a surjective linear transformation?

The purpose of solving equation systems for a surjective linear transformation is to find the values of the variables that satisfy the system of equations. This allows us to determine the specific transformation that maps the larger vector space onto the smaller vector space.

3. How do you solve equation systems for a surjective linear transformation?

To solve equation systems for a surjective linear transformation, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, inverse matrix method, or Cramer's rule. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variables and find their values.

4. What are some applications of solving equation systems for a surjective linear transformation?

Solving equation systems for a surjective linear transformation has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can be used to solve optimization problems, determine the stability of a system, and find solutions to differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to solving equation systems for a surjective linear transformation?

One limitation of solving equation systems for a surjective linear transformation is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for large systems of equations. Additionally, some systems may not have a unique solution or may have no solution at all, making it impossible to determine the transformation.