1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformers - Don't understand VpIp = VsIs

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    transformers -- Don't understand VpIp = VsIs

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the equation below of any transformer is true, therefore it does not matter if i connect a lightbulb or anything else either to the primary or the secundary, it should be working the same, right? I have a 220v-3v step down transformer and i can connect an led without burning it. How is that possible? Do we lose power here? Shouldn't be the current much higher in the secondary?

2. Relevant equations

VpIp = VsIs

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why should the current be any higher than what the load requires? I think you need to study transformer fundamentals and perhaps electronics fundamentals such as ohm's law.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The current IS much higher in the secondary. Your turns ratio is 220/3 = 73.3 = N1/N2.
    So if your load current is say 100 mA then your primary current is 100/73.3 = 1.36 mA. However, the primary current also includes the magnetizing current which depends on the primary winding inductance and your frequency of operation, and which is 90 deg. (approx.) out of phase with the secondary current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted