Optimizing Power with Parallel Transformers

In summary, the problem involves calculating the load and power factor of two parallel 3-phase transformers supplying a 1000 kVA load at 0.866 p.f. lagging. The transformers have a capacity of 800 kVA and a ratio of transformation of 6600/400 V, delta/star. The equivalent impedances referred to the secondary are (0.005 + j.015) ohm and (0.012 + j 0.030) ohm per phase, respectively. The solution involves calculating the secondary current for a Y-connected load, and the voltage across one load phase is needed to determine the load using the formula load = 3 VpIp. The values used for voltage
ranju

Homework Statement

A load of 1000 kVA at 0.866 p.f. lagging is supplied by two 3 phase transformers of 800 kVA capacity operating in parallel. Ratio of transformation is same : 6600/400 V, delta/ star. If the equivalent impedances referred to secondary are (0.005 + j.015) ohm and (0.012 + j 0.030) ohm per phase respectively. Calculate load and power factor of each transformer.
In the solution of given question while calculating the secondary current for star connection , they found it as I2=1000 *1000/√3*400 .. but generally in questions , the voltages we are given are line voltages , but according to this it seems that the given voltage 400 is phase voltage ..! So this become confusing that what should we consider the given data whether line or phase??
Also , for calculating the load by formula load = 3 VpIp , they took phase voltage as 254..! How this voltage came up?[/B]

Homework Equations

Considering the 2 transformers in parallel as A & B,
I2A=ZB/ZB+ZA * I2 I2B=ZA+ZA+ZB *I2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

secondary current I2 = 1000*1000*√3 /400 , this is the secondary current according to me as I am considering the voltage given as line , but in textbook solution the voltage is √3*400..! [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If 400v is the line voltage, then for a Y-connected load the current would be found using:
power per phase = 1000/3 kVA
current = power per phase / (400/√3)

Is that leading us to what your textbook shows?

for calculating the load by formula load = 3 VpIp , they took phase voltage as 254..! How this voltage came up?
Would you like to reconsider this? How would you determine the voltage across one load phase?

Your formulae under Relevant Equations are in dire need of some parentheses.

BTW, avoid all bold type next time, when over-used it becomes ineffective

1. What is the concept of transformers in parallel?

Transformers in parallel refers to the installation of multiple transformers in a single circuit, where each transformer is connected to the same source and load. This allows for increased power capacity and redundancy in case one transformer fails.

2. How is the voltage and current affected in transformers in parallel?

In transformers in parallel, the voltage remains constant while the current is divided among the parallel transformers. This means that the total current is equal to the sum of the individual currents in each transformer.

3. What are the advantages of using transformers in parallel?

The main advantage of transformers in parallel is the increased power capacity and reliability. If one transformer fails, the other transformers can still provide power to the load. Additionally, parallel transformers can be added or removed as needed to meet changing power demands.

4. What are the potential risks of using transformers in parallel?

One risk of using transformers in parallel is that unequal distribution of load can occur, leading to overloading of some transformers. This can result in power imbalances and potential damage to the transformers. Proper load sharing and monitoring is crucial to prevent these risks.

5. How do you calculate the total current in transformers in parallel?

The total current in transformers in parallel can be calculated by adding the individual currents in each transformer. This is also known as the sum of the currents rule, where the total current is equal to the sum of the individual currents.