Transforming an ODE: Solving a Difficult Equation with a Simple Transformation

• Thread starter picard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses an ODE that cannot be solved analytically and a similar one that can be solved with specific functions. The hope is to find a transformation that can turn the unsolvable equation into a solvable one. However, the specific functions used in the solvable equation may not work for arbitrary functions.
picard
Hi, I have a problem and I am wondering if anyone can help... There is
this ODE, where P(x) and Q(x) are known functions:

y''(x)+P(x) y'(x)+Q(x) y(x)=0 (1)

This ODE cannot be solved analytically in general. However I can solve the following one (for the specific P(x) and Q(x) I have only):

f''(x)+P(x) f'(x)+Q(x)/x f(x)=0 (2)

The difference is in the third term :Q(x) => Q(x)/x. Does anyone know
of a transformation y(x)=>f(x) such that eq. (1) can be transformed
into eq. (2), which is solvable (as I said with the specific P & Q I
have, not in general)?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
That will surely depend upon the "specific" P and Q!

I bet it does! I was just wondering if it can be done for arbitrary functions... However, here you go:

[tex]P(x)=\frac{3}{x}+\frac{H'[x]}{H[x]}[/tex]

[tex]Q(x)=\frac{c}{x^5 H(x)^2}[/tex]

Again, H(x) is arbitrary... sort of... Nevertheless, it is easy to see that eq (2) with these definitions is solvable (for arbitrary H(x)) while eq. (1) is not!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Your 2nd equation doesn't have any derivatives whereas your first one does, was that a typo?

Hmmm, when I said eqs. (1) & (2) I obviously meant form my first post... The point is to transform:

y''(x)+P(x) y'(x)+Q(x) y(x)=0...Equation (1)

into

f''(x)+P(x) f'(x)+Q(x)/x f(x)=0...Equation (2)

given the P(x) & Q(x), where:
[tex]P(x)=\frac{3}{x}+\frac{H'(x)}{H(x)}[/tex]
and
[tex]Q(x)=\frac{c}{x^5 H(x)^2}[/tex]

As I mentioned earlier, the reason I would like to find such a transformation (if at all possible) is because with these definitions of P(x) and Q(x), equation (2) for f(x) is solvable, while (1) is not. So knowing the solution for f(x) and the transformation allows in principle to find y(x) which is the desiteratum. Any ideas?

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena, including growth, decay, and motion.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

ODEs can be solved using various methods, including analytical methods and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution to the equation, while numerical methods involve approximating the solution using algorithms and computers.

3. What is the purpose of transforming an ODE?

Transforming an ODE involves manipulating the equation in order to make it easier to solve. This can involve changing variables, integrating, or using other techniques to simplify the equation and make it more manageable.

4. What are some common techniques for transforming an ODE?

Some common techniques for transforming an ODE include substitution, integration, separation of variables, and using integrating factors. These techniques can help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

5. Can all ODEs be transformed and solved?

No, not all ODEs can be transformed and solved. Some equations may be too complex or do not have a known analytical solution. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.