1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming double integrals into Polar coordinates

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that:

[itex]I = \int\int_{T}\frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})(1 + y^{2})}dxdy = \int^{1}_{0}\frac{arctan(x)}{(1 + x^{2})}dx = \frac{\pi^{2}}{32}[/itex]

where T is the triangle with successive vertices [itex](0,0), (1,0), (1,1)[/itex].

*By transforming to polar coordinates [itex](r,θ)[/itex] show that:*

[itex]I = \int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}\frac{log(\sqrt{2}cos(θ))}{cos(2θ)}dθ[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part one is fine:

[itex]I = \int\int_{T}\frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})(1 + y^{2})}dxdy = \int^{1}_{0}\underbrace{\int^{x}_{0}\frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})(1 + y^{2})}dy}_{A}dx[/itex]

[itex]A: \frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})}\int^{x}_{0}\frac{1}{(1 + y^{2})}dy = \frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})}\left[arctan(y)\right]^{x}_{0} = \frac{arctan(x)}{(1 + x^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow I = \int^{1}_{0}\frac{arctan(x)}{(1 + x^{2})}dx[/itex]

[itex]Let:[/itex] [itex]u = arctan(x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})} \Rightarrow du = \frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})}dx[/itex]

[itex]x = 0 \Rightarrow u = 0[/itex]
    [itex]x = 1 \Rightarrow u = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow I = \int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}udu = \left[\frac{1}{2}u^{2}\right]^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{32}.[/itex]

PART 2

[itex]x = rcos(\vartheta)[/itex]
    [itex]y = rsin(\vartheta)[/itex]

[itex]Boundaries:[/itex]
    [itex](i) y = 0 \Rightarrow rsin(θ) = 0[/itex]
    [itex](ii) x = 1 \Rightarrow rcos(θ) = 1[/itex]
    [itex](iii) y = x \Rightarrow rsin(θ) = rcos(θ) \Rightarrow tan(θ) = 1 \Rightarrow θ = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

From then on everything seems to get very complex and I'm not really sure what the limits are either.

I was wondering if it was possible to go simply from:

[itex]I = \int^{1}_{0}\frac{arctan(x)}{(1 + x^{2})}dx[/itex]

to:

[itex]I = \int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}\frac{log(\sqrt{2}cos(θ))}{cos(2θ}dθ[/itex]

Please help :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK - you want to show that transforming to polar coordinates does this:$$I = \int\int_{T}\frac{1}{(1 + x^{2})(1 + y^{2})}dxdy \rightarrow \int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}\frac{\log(\sqrt{2}\cos \theta)}{\cos 2 \theta }d\theta$$Is that supposed to be a natural logarithm on the RHS?

You have noticed that:
    [itex]x = r\cos\theta[/itex]
    [itex]y = r\sin\theta[/itex]

Boundaries:
    [itex]y = 0 \Rightarrow r\sin\theta = 0[/itex]
    [itex]x = 1 \Rightarrow r\cos\theta = 1[/itex]
    [itex]y = x \Rightarrow r\sin\theta = r\cos(\theta) \Rightarrow \tan\theta = 1 \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

You also need to realize that:
    ##dx.dy = dA = r.dr.d\theta## (check)

Transforming the integrand would involve using the right trig identities - equip yourself with a table of them, and see that you are looking for something with ##\cos 2 \theta## ... the logarithm probably comes from integrating over ##r##.

Please show your working.

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3
    [itex]dx.dy=dA=r.dr.dθ[/itex] thats a given

not sure about the limits on r...

[itex](expanding gives:[/itex]

[itex]\int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}\int^{?}_{0}\frac{r}{(1 + r^{2}sin^{2}(θ) + r^{2}cos^{2}(θ) + r^{4}sin^{2}(θ)cos^{2}(θ))}drdθ[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}\int^{?}_{0}\frac{r}{(1 + r^{2} + r^{4}sin^{2}(θ)cos^{2}(θ))}drdθ[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_{0}\int^{?}_{0}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{r} + r + r^{3}sin^{2}(θ)cos^{2}(θ))}drdθ[/itex]

then it gets confusing unless maybe you make a nice substitution?

5. Jan 25, 2013 #4
    Try u = r^2

Regarding the limits, r is the distance from (0, 0) to (x, y) on the the x = 1 line.

6. Jan 25, 2013 #5
    When me and my friend first tried we got the upper limit as sqrt(2)?

Unless its still a function in θ

7. Jan 25, 2013 #6
    My friend and I*

8. Jan 25, 2013 #7
    sqrt(2) can be the distance to ONE point; you have a segment from (1, 0) to (1, 1), so the distance must be a function of the polar angle.

9. Jan 25, 2013 #8
    The boundary x = 1 gives:
    rcos(θ) = 1 which is:
    r = 1/cos(θ)

Hmmm

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Jan 25, 2013 #9
    That seems OK.

11. Jan 25, 2013 #10
    integral = -1/2 sec(2 theta) (log(r^2 (-cos(2 theta))+r^2+2)-log(r^2 cos(2 theta)+r^2+2))+constant

12. Jan 25, 2013 #11
    You have demonstrated mastery of LATEX, so please use it for complex expressions.

Please show how you obtained that result.

13. Jan 25, 2013 #12
    LATEX is very difficult on a mobile sorry :(

Thanks for the mastery compliment :)

As for how I obtained the result... WolframAlpha

But it times out when you try to put limits from 0 to 1/cos(θ)

14. Jan 25, 2013 #13
    I am sure you can plug in the integration limits manually.

15. Jan 25, 2013 #14
    It came out perfectly :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook