1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming heat to electricity with semiconductors?

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    Is it real? how does it work?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You always need a heat difference - a warm area and a cold area. Photovoltaic cells do that in an indirect way (via light from the hot sun). Thermoelectric generators are a direct way to generate electricity from heat differences, but they don't need semiconductors.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

jtbell

According to precise usage in English-language textbooks, "heat" = "energy transferred because of a difference in temperature between two objects." Therefore in the OP's statement, "heat" is appropriate. "Heat difference" doesn't make sense here.

(However, even many physicists get sloppy with this terminology sometimes. :uhh:)

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    "More recent devices use semiconductor p–n junctions made from bismuth telluride (Bi2Te3), lead telluride (PbTe)"
    Wait you said that they don't need semi-conductors right?Then whats this?

6. Aug 6, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

You can use them, you do not have to. That is an important difference.

@jtbell: Oh, sorry. In German, you can describe both with "Wärme", I didn't know that heat is energy transfer only in English.

7. Aug 7, 2013 #6
    But what makes the electrons move from one side to another? I get that electrons get more active but what makes them move in one direction?

8. Aug 7, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

9. Aug 7, 2013 #8

russ_watters

And we engineers ignore the difference completely, seeing it as trivial.

10. Aug 7, 2013 #9
    Well, I know the very basics of thermodynamics and I can understand how wave functions work.

11. Aug 7, 2013 #10
    Not in colloquial English, but in physics as jargon it has that specific meaning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook