Transient heat conduction in a slab

In summary, the problem involves unsteady state heat conduction through an infinitely wide slab of solid material with a thickness of 2L. The material has no internal heat generation and its thermal properties are independent of temperature and position. By performing an energy balance, we can derive an equation for the temperature T at a distance z from the central plane at time t, which is in the form of dT/dt = A * ∂^2T/∂η^2, where η = z/L and A is a group of parameters. This problem is one-dimensional and requires the derivation of the Fourier equation, with the control volume area Δa being cancelled out in the final equation. Non-dimensionalization should only be
Igloo_Boobs

Homework Statement

Consider unsteady state heat conduction through an infinitely wide slab of solid material of thickness 2L. There is no internal heat generation and the thermal properties of the material are independent of temperature and position. Starting from an energy balance, show that the temperature T at a distance z from the central plane at time t is described by an equation of the form

[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] = A [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial\eta^{2}}[/itex]where η = z/L and A is a group of parameters. Define A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to perform a energy balance, which should come out in the form:

aq = a(q+dq)+[itex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}[/itex]

where a is the area and then I can probably solve it from there
However, in this case I can't do so as because the slab is infinitely wide I can't get a. Is there a problem with the way I'm visualising it in three dimensions or should I be taking a different approach to the energy balance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert and have just started with thermodynamics but I think you should look at lumped capacity and semi-infinite solids

Based on the equation you cite, the problem is one dimensional and you are being asked to derive the Fourier equation. Call your control volume area Δa. The areas will all cancel out once you finish the derivation. The derivative with respect to time should be a partial derivative because you have two independent variables, time and space.

I would not worry about non-dimensionalizing until after you complete the derivation.

1. What is transient heat conduction in a slab?

Transient heat conduction in a slab refers to the process of heat transfer through a solid material, such as a metal or ceramic slab, where the temperature gradient and heat flux change over time. This is in contrast to steady-state heat conduction, where the temperature and heat flux remain constant over time.

2. How does transient heat conduction differ from steady-state heat conduction?

The main difference between transient and steady-state heat conduction is the time-dependent nature of transient heat transfer. In steady-state heat conduction, the temperature and heat flux remain constant over time, whereas in transient heat conduction, both the temperature and heat flux change over time.

3. What factors affect transient heat conduction in a slab?

The factors that affect transient heat conduction in a slab include the thermal conductivity of the material, the initial temperature difference between the two surfaces of the slab, the surface area of the slab, and the thickness of the slab.

4. How is transient heat conduction in a slab modeled mathematically?

Transient heat conduction in a slab can be modeled using the heat conduction equation, also known as the Fourier's law of heat conduction. This equation takes into account the temperature gradient, thermal conductivity, and heat flux to calculate the rate of heat transfer through the slab.

5. What are the practical applications of studying transient heat conduction in a slab?

Studying transient heat conduction in a slab is important in various fields, such as materials science, engineering, and thermodynamics. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of materials subjected to heat transfer, and is essential in the design and optimization of various devices and systems, such as heat exchangers, electronic components, and building insulation.