Transistor literature (books, links, articles) for learning more about them....

In summary, the book provides a deep understanding of how transistors work and is well worth reading.
Voq
If you have any material (books, links, articles) on transistors i would appreciate that. I am looking for a way to get more general knowledge on subject. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Voq said:
If you have any material (books, links, articles) on transistors i would appreciate that. I am looking for a way to get more general knowledge on subject. Thank you.

there are 100's of tutorials text and videos online

google how does a transistor work tutorials

Likes Voq
Voq - if you want to gain more and deeper knowledge on "how a transistoir works", I think the following hint is very important:
Comparing different knowledge sources (books, articles, internet contributions) you will - surprisingly - notice that two different explanations still exist:
1.) BJT as a current-controlled device: The collector current Ic is a result of (and will be controlled by) the base current Ib
2.) BJT as a voltage-controlled device: The collector current Ic is a result of (and will be controlled by) the base-emitter voltage Vbe.

Apparently, only one answer (physical working principle) can be correct. In the past, this subject was already intensively discussed - also in this forum.
An answer to this question may be of less inportance as long as you are using only formulas and design strategies readily available for building transistor amplifiers.
However, if you want to know what`s really going on and if you want to discover new application areas it is of great importance to know if answer 1) or answer 2) gives the correct description.

In this context, I recommend all BJT-related contributions from the universities of Berkeley and Stanford as well as from the MIT.
(Don`t rely on some obscure and simplified online tutorials) .

For example, see here: http://web.eng.ucsd.edu/ece/courses/ECE65/Spring2014/FN-Notes/main/BJT.pdf

Last edited:
I was diverted by some external forces. But still i will check links in hope to get some order of knowledge. Thanks. In the meantime i found nice picture. And found out there is 109 of them in laptop.

Attachments

• 6b90a32de7e4df32628b628a79ef3adc28587fa8.jpg
    6b90a32de7e4df32628b628a79ef3adc28587fa8.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 497
A couple old ones that really cover the basics are both the GE and the RCA Transistor Manual. Being part of the early literature, they avoided much of the deep theoretical and leaned more toward the practical use and the "why." They are circa 1964 and 1967 respectively so may be hard to find, but IMHO well worth some effort.

GE Transistor Manual.jpg
RCA Transistor Manual.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Edit:
I just Googled the titles and found hits for scans of both of them.
http://www.introni.it/pdf/GE - Transistor Manual 1964.pdf

For hardcopy try Google books.
and https://books.google.com/books/about/RCA_transistor_manual.html?id=o05rAAAAMAAJ

end Edit

Attachments

• GE Transistor Manual.jpg
    GE Transistor Manual.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 631
  • RCA Transistor Manual.jpg
    RCA Transistor Manual.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Likes Voq
LvW said:
Voq - if you want to gain more and deeper knowledge on "how a transistoir works", I think the following hint is very important:
Comparing different knowledge sources (books, articles, internet contributions) you will - surprisingly - notice that two different explanations still exist:
1.) BJT as a current-controlled device: The collector current Ic is a result of (and will be controlled by) the base current Ib
2.) BJT as a voltage-controlled device: The collector current Ic is a result of (and will be controlled by) the base-emitter voltage Vbe.

Apparently, only one answer (physical working principle) can be correct. In the past, this subject was already intensively discussed - also in this forum.
An answer to this question may be of less inportance as long as you are using only formulas and design strategies readily available for building transistor amplifiers.
However, if you want to know what`s really going on and if you want to discover new application areas it is of great importance to know if answer 1) or answer 2) gives the correct description.

In this context, I recommend all BJT-related contributions from the universities of Berkeley and Stanford as well as from the MIT.
(Don`t rely on some obscure and simplified online tutorials) .

For example, see here: http://web.eng.ucsd.edu/ece/courses/ECE65/Spring2014/FN-Notes/main/BJT.pdf
They are both correct? Current is dependent on a voltage, so there must always be a voltage for there to be a current.

UsArmy-BasicTheoryApplicationsOfTransistors_0000.jpg

Written for the incoming army recruit with only a HS education It covers the basics of junction transistors including physics,equivalent circuits, parameters , bias stabilization characteristic curves and more with applications to analog circuits related to communication with a bit of pulse/logic applications included. Available on line and downloadable at https://archive.org/details/BasicTheoryApplicationsOfTransistors

Attachments

• UsArmy-BasicTheoryApplicationsOfTransistors_0000.jpg
    UsArmy-BasicTheoryApplicationsOfTransistors_0000.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 391
Likes Voq
Gleem - I was involved in teaching electronics (in Germany) for more than 25 years.
However, I must admit that I never have heard about the book as recommended by you.
I had a short look inside the book - and I must say: Excellent.!
Thanks for giving the link - I only can recommend this (old) transistor manual.

Likes gleem
Thank you very much for materials. I appreciate it. I still need them so I am checking them all.

1. What are transistors and how do they work?

Transistors are electronic devices that are used to amplify or switch electronic signals. They consist of three layers of a semiconductor material, with two layers being the same type (either N-type or P-type) and the third layer being the opposite type. When a small current is applied to the middle layer, it can control a larger current flowing between the other two layers, allowing for amplification or switching of signals.

2. What is the history of transistors?

Transistors were first invented in 1947 by John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley at Bell Labs. This discovery revolutionized the field of electronics, as it replaced the bulky and inefficient vacuum tubes that were previously used in electronic devices. The first transistors were made of germanium, but later advancements led to the use of silicon, which is still the most commonly used material in transistors today.

3. What are the different types of transistors?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs have three layers of semiconductor material and are commonly used for amplification, while FETs have only two layers and are often used for switching. Within these categories, there are also different subtypes such as NPN and PNP BJTs, and MOSFETs and JFETs for FETs.

4. How are transistors used in electronic devices?

Transistors play a crucial role in modern electronic devices. They are used in computer processors, radios, televisions, smartphones, and many other electronic devices. In computers, transistors are used to amplify and switch electrical signals, allowing for the processing and storage of large amounts of data. In radios and televisions, transistors are used to amplify and tune in to specific frequencies. And in smartphones, transistors are used in the microchips that control and process all of the device's functions.

5. What are some good resources for learning more about transistors?

There are many books, links, and articles available for learning about transistors. Some good resources include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Transistor Basics" by Mike Tooley, and online resources such as All About Circuits and Electronics Tutorials. Additionally, universities and colleges often offer courses in electronics and semiconductor devices that cover transistors in depth.