1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Diagrams and finite-state automaton?

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Capture.PNG
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

20160425_181745.jpg
    My confusion comes in with b/1, would it be going back to sigma inital since b/1=1?
    Also could someone explain what a finite state automaton is.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not familiar with the table format given, but it seems self-explanatory. If I understand it, I disagree with your answer diagram. Tell me how you interpret the σ1 directly under the a in the f column. I.e., in the row with σ0 in the left hand column.

4. Apr 26, 2016 #3
    σ1 is when the output is a =1 and b=1

5. Apr 26, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you completely misunderstand the table. The sigmas are the states, old and new. a and b are the values of the input (it's either an a or a b, not a 0 or a 1), and the 0 and 1 are the outputs. The functions f and g are the state change function and the output function respectively.

The first row says that in state σ0 an input of a leads to an output of 1 and a new state σ1; an input of b does the same.
    The second row says that in state σ1 an input of a leads to an output of 0 and a new state σ0; an input of b does the same as it does in state σ0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted