Transition to Different Engineering Discipline?

In summary, you cannot transition into another field such as electrical or industrial engineering if you have a BS/MS in nuclear engineering. You may be able to find a position as a technician, but you may not be able to see the fruits of your labor.
tehfrr
Does anyone have any advice on transferring to a different engineering discipline? I currently have a BS/MS in nuclear engineering and I'm really growing to dislike it after a little more than 2 years in the workforce. How feasible is it to transition into another field such as electrical or industrial engineering? I have little formal education in electrical or industrial. At this point I don't consider going back to school an option, I have enough debt already. Can one reasonably attempt to do one of the following:

1) apply in new field, hope to get hired and learn on the job
2) learn fundamentals from books and/or free courses online (such as MIT's open courseware), then get hired on

Or is the piece of paper that says BS/MS in XXX pretty much a necessity for a near entry level position?

Mainly I am very displeased with nuclear because the jobs seem to be in rural areas (Im a city guy) and more importantly I am tired of working on projects that I will never see (or may never even get built), everything just seems to exist on a computer file. Even if I mostly use a computer, I still need to see the fruits of my labor from time to time, do walk-downs of facilities, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want out of nuclear? It's kinda funny: I am in undergrad electrical right now, and I was thinking of doing a masters in nuclear because of the broader range of physics that it touches on.

Sorry I don't have any advice for your problem. I imagine that you'd just have to sell yourself as best you can, and see who will give you a shot.

Yeah. It was extremely interesting to learn and overall nuclear science is pretty great. For me the problem is where the jobs seem to be located along with the actual work itself.

For example a civil or mechanical engineer can go see in person the fruits of their labor. For me, I see computer files of text based input decks all day. I feel lucky if I even get to see a photograph or diagram on occasion. I loved nuclear engineering in school but if I were to do it over again (and stay in this field) Id just be a technician, at least they get to see real things.

With nuclear, jobs do not seem to be plentiful in large urban areas for obvious reasons. There is always Washington DC, but with the way the government is looking to make cuts right now, I perceive moving to DC too much of a risk

Interesting. So what you guys just said reminds me of this article @ http://philip.greenspun.com/careers/women-in-science

"...A friend of the author says that most medical doctors choose the wrong specialty: "They pick based on what part of the body they think is the most interesting. They should really pick based on whether or not they want to have the responsibility of running an office, having employees, and marketing themselves or whether they want a shift job and can walk away at the end of the shift." She finds some of her colleagues less than optimally happy because they chose to be plastic surgeons and don't enjoy being the boss and not being able to take eight weeks of vacation per year. On the other hand, she finds some emergency medicine doctors who, while they enjoy the freedom and flexibility to work as much or as little as they choose in any given year, would prefer to have the responsibility and prestige of running their own practice.

A person who says "I love Chemistry and therefore I will become a chemist" is potentially making the same mistake as these medical doctors who end up in the wrong specialty..."

For a while I really wanted to be an astronomer. Maybe it was some form of Carl Sagan worship. Anyway, later I found that telescopes are usually in extremely remote areas (for obvious reasons), which will not allow a lifestyle that I prefer. Same concerns with working at LHC and a lot of US national labs. Which means I really shouldn't go into observational astronomy or experimental HEP.

I understand the desire to switch engineering disciplines and explore new opportunities. It is not uncommon for individuals to realize that their current field is not the best fit for them after a few years in the workforce. The good news is that it is possible to transition to a different engineering discipline, but it may require some effort and flexibility on your part.

Firstly, I would recommend researching the field you are interested in and familiarizing yourself with the basic principles and skills required. This can be done through self-study using books and online courses, as you mentioned. It is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals before attempting to apply for jobs in a new field.

Next, I would suggest networking and connecting with professionals in the field you want to transition into. This can help you gain a better understanding of the industry and potentially open up job opportunities through referrals or recommendations.

In terms of applying for jobs, it is possible to get hired in a new field without the specific degree or experience. However, it may require some persistence and showcasing your transferable skills and knowledge. Employers are often looking for individuals who are adaptable and willing to learn, so emphasize these qualities in your applications and interviews.

Ultimately, the decision to go back to school or not will depend on your personal circumstances and goals. It may be worth considering if there are specific courses or certifications that would make you a more competitive candidate in your desired field.

In regards to your concerns about working on projects that may never get built or seeing the physical results of your work, this is a valid consideration. However, every engineering discipline has its own unique challenges and it is important to thoroughly research and understand the day-to-day responsibilities and expectations before making a career change.

Overall, transitioning to a different engineering discipline is possible with determination and a strategic approach. It may require some extra effort and patience, but it can lead to a fulfilling and rewarding career in a field that aligns better with your interests and goals. Best of luck in your journey.

1. What are the reasons for transitioning to a different engineering discipline?

There can be several reasons for transitioning to a different engineering discipline. Some common reasons include a change in personal interests and career goals, a desire for more challenging or diverse work, and the availability of better job opportunities in a different discipline.

2. How can I determine which engineering discipline to transition to?

The best way to determine which engineering discipline to transition to is to research and gain a better understanding of the different disciplines and their respective roles and responsibilities. You can also talk to professionals in different disciplines and seek their advice and insights.

3. Will my previous engineering education and experience be transferable to a different discipline?

In most cases, yes, your previous education and experience will be transferable to a different engineering discipline. However, you may need to acquire additional knowledge and skills specific to the new discipline in order to succeed in your new role.

4. Can I switch to a different engineering discipline without starting over from the beginning?

It is possible to switch to a different engineering discipline without starting over completely. Many core concepts and skills are transferable across disciplines, so you may only need to take a few additional courses or gain some hands-on experience to transition successfully.

5. How will transitioning to a different engineering discipline affect my career prospects?

Transitioning to a different engineering discipline can open up new career opportunities and allow you to work on different projects and in different industries. However, it is important to thoroughly research the job market and understand the demand for your chosen discipline before making the transition.