Is a MS in mathematics in anyway useful in the engineering industry?

In summary, the speaker is a non-traditional student in their late twenties with a double major in electrical engineering and mathematics. They are considering pursuing a masters degree in computational mathematics, as their university does not offer a masters program in electrical engineering. They are wondering if this would be beneficial in the job market and if it would result in a higher salary. They also ask about the usefulness of online masters degrees in engineering and the potential benefits of a double major in mathematics. They are seeking insights and advice from those working in the field.
Vagabond7
I am a junior doing a major in electrical engineering, with a minor in mathematics (maybe a double major). The university I am going to doesn't have a masters program for electrical engineering though. I am also a non-traditional student (in that I am in my late twenties, and didn't start college until I was 27.) I have a mortgage and a life where I live, so up and moving to a different city for a year or two for a masters degree isn't a very appealing idea.

My university does offer a masters degree in "Computational Mathematics" that I could get into with my current course of study. Essentially it requires a BS in either EE, Mathematics, Physics, or computer science, with the right grades and courses to get into. Is this in anyway useful or would be seen as a benefit in the job market? Or will it essentially be seen as a useless add-on, and I would be hired at the pay-scale and position of a person with only a BS in EE? I am told by professors, and I read here that an with an MS in engineering one tends to start out at 7k-10k more than someone with only a BS. Is that sort of thing ONLY for an MS in engineering, or is that essentially an engineer with a MS in a STEM field? In short how would an MS in computational Mathematics on a resume be perceived in the engineering industry?

Second question. If the MS in math is essentially useless, then how bad are online Masters for engineering? It seems hard for me to imagine that they could be useful given that you don't have access to all the relevant expensive lab equipment, but a number of schools offer them. Would this be seen as just as good in industry, or will it again be almost like I don't even have the Masters?

Oh, I guess one final question. If I decide to go ahead and do the double major in math, will it give any benefit in the job market? Or will companies care only about the Engineering degree, and the math degree won't even matter? Will it be a useful for getting a higher salary, or is the engineering degree the only thing that people hiring will be looking at?

Thanks in advance to those working in the field that can offer some insight or advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the type of job you want when you graduate. Research vs. Design Work vs. Field job

1. Can a person with a MS in mathematics work in the engineering industry?

Yes, a person with a MS in mathematics can work in the engineering industry. Many engineering fields, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering, require a strong foundation in mathematics. A MS in mathematics provides the necessary skills and knowledge for these types of engineering jobs.

2. Is a MS in mathematics more useful in certain engineering industries than others?

Yes, a MS in mathematics may be more useful in certain engineering industries that heavily rely on mathematical concepts, such as computer science, data analytics, and operations research. However, the problem-solving and analytical skills gained from a MS in mathematics can be applied to a wide range of engineering industries.

3. What specific job roles can a person with a MS in mathematics pursue in the engineering industry?

A person with a MS in mathematics can pursue various job roles in the engineering industry, such as data analyst, research scientist, operations research analyst, and software engineer. They may also work in areas such as quality control, risk assessment, or product design.

4. How can a MS in mathematics benefit a person in the engineering industry?

A MS in mathematics can benefit a person in the engineering industry by providing them with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques. This can help them to solve complex problems, analyze data, and make informed decisions in their engineering work. It can also open up opportunities for advancement and higher-paying job roles.

5. Are there any additional skills or knowledge that a person with a MS in mathematics should have to be successful in the engineering industry?

In addition to a strong understanding of mathematics, a person with a MS in mathematics should also have good communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt. They should also have a basic understanding of engineering principles and how they apply to real-world problems.