Translate change of length to force in hanging chain problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cm85
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to write a simple script in blender python in order to show load deflection in cloth simulation. My question is: Is it possible to translate the change of length (distance between two nodes), into a force? (Newton between those nodes)?

In addition you will find a minimal example. The chain is created with blender-cloth. Let's assume that each node is dragged down by gravity with 100 Newton. This are 900 Newton overall, right? How would the distribution of force look like? (I'm no structural engineer) There is a correlation between movement and force, even if we would assume same link-strength for everything, isn't it? I'm interested in normal-force only. I could also work with the velocity of links also.

Thank's in advance!
 
Attachments
  • chain.png
    chain.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
cm85 said:
There is a correlation between movement and force
Acceleration and force.

cm85 said:
I'm interested in normal-force only.
What's normal force here? The vertical tension force components must balance gravity in the static case.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cm85
Thank you very much for your fast reply.

Maybe i have made a wrong approach from the beginning on. Here is another way from scratch based on various processing-sketechs. It's a simple particle simulation which is adding a value to the z-coordinate of each particle as well as the velocity of the next neighbors. It is based on a pseudo-code i have found and a lot of trial and error. I don't know if this is correct or not.

The import section is this one:

# force of links
v_1 = self.next_1.vertex.co - self.vertex.co
strength = (v_1.length - link_length) * link_strength
v_1 = v_1 * strength

v_2 = self.next_2.vertex.co - self.vertex.co
strength = (v_2.length - link_length) * link_strength
v_2 = v_2 * strength

self.vertex.co = self.vertex.co + v_1 + v_2

How could i sum up the forces in order to get the force of each link?
 
Attachments
Last edited: