Interpreting Physics Grade Sheet: Percentile, Mean%, & SD Explained

In summary, The person is requesting help with interpreting a grade sheet they received in physics. They understand the first three columns, but the Percentile, Mean%, and SD are confusing. They have tried to post it online, but it did not work. The expert responds by explaining that the Percentile means the person did better than 58% of the people in the class, the N represents the number of people taking the test (possibly 6), and the SD is the standard deviation with 66% of scores falling within 1 standard deviation of the mean. The expert also suggests doing a web search on standard deviation for more information. The person responds with more questions and the expert provides a corrected interpretation of the grade sheet, which shows
barcat
I was wondering if someone could help me interpret a grade sheet I got in physics? Below is a slip that I received after our last quiz.
I understand what the first three columns are, but the Percentile, Mean%, and SD is what is comfusing me. I really do not know where I stand, in this class, compared to the rest of my fellow students.

I tried to copy this to a post, but I would not take. Below is the attatchment.
barry

Quiz Individual Performance GroupPerformance
Max. Score Score(%) Percentile N Mean(%) SD
Quiz 40 36.50 91.25% 42 6 85.63% 11.88
Total 40 36.5 91.3% 42 6 85.6% 11.9

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your precential means that you did better the 58% of the people taking the test, N could/should be the number taking the test (6? pretty small class!) SD is the standard deviation, 66% of the scores fall within 1 SD of the mean. For this test 66% of the scores fell between 96% and 84%

Integral, thanks for the response. Is there a better way that I
could have posted the bottom part of my request?
I tried to attatch a DOC image, but it would'nt take.

Is 66% a standard for SD? We have 26 students in this class
(internet quizes), I was the first to take it. Also, how did
you arrive at 58%?
barry

I read the numbers as

Max. Score Score(%) Percentile N Mean(%) SD
40 36.50 91.25% 42 6 85.63% 11.88
Total 40 36.5 91.3% 42 6 85.6% 11.9

------------Quiz-----Total
Max.------- -40------- 40
Score-------36.5------36.5
Score(%)----91.25%----91.3%
Percentile --42--------42
N-------------6---------6
Mean(%)------85.635----85.6%
SD-----------11.88------11.9

looks like it should read
------------Quiz-----Total
Max.------- -40------- 40
Score-------36.5------36.5
Score(%)----91.25%----91.3%
Percentile --4---------4
N------------26--------26
Mean(%)------85.635----85.6%
SD-----------11.88------11.9

This changes the percentile allot, now you are in the 4th percentile which means you have a better score then 96% of the class

Initially I assumed that the SD was a percent, In reality it may be in points, which seems pretty broad considering it was a 40 point quiz.

1 standard Deviation is defined to be the span around the mean which contains 66% of the things being averaged. You may want to do a web search on the term it is a very commonly used statistic.

1. What is the purpose of a physics grade sheet?

The purpose of a physics grade sheet is to provide a record of a student's performance in a physics course. It includes information such as the student's percentile rank, mean percentage, and standard deviation, which can help the student and teacher assess the student's progress and identify areas for improvement.

2. How is percentile rank calculated on a physics grade sheet?

Percentile rank is a measure of a student's performance compared to their peers. It is calculated by dividing the number of students who scored below the student by the total number of students in the class, and then multiplying by 100. For example, if a student scored higher than 80% of their classmates, their percentile rank would be 80.

3. What is the significance of the mean percentage on a physics grade sheet?

The mean percentage represents the average score of all students in the class. It can give an indication of the overall performance of the class and can help the student understand how they compare to their peers. A higher mean percentage may indicate that the class as a whole performed well, while a lower mean percentage may suggest that the material was more challenging.

4. Why is standard deviation included on a physics grade sheet?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the scores are in a set of data. In the context of a physics grade sheet, it can show the variability in student performance. A smaller standard deviation may suggest that the class had similar scores, while a larger standard deviation may indicate a wider range of scores.

5. How can a student use a physics grade sheet to improve their performance?

A physics grade sheet can help a student identify areas where they may need to focus more attention or seek additional help. By comparing their percentile rank, mean percentage, and standard deviation to the class average, the student can see where they excel and where they may need to improve. This information can guide the student in setting goals and developing a study plan.

Back