1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Translation of a German book about ODEs

1. May 26, 2017 #1
    I need a translation of "Differentialgleichungen : Losungsmethoden und Losugen", I guess it is written in German. This book was referenced in Shepley L. Ross' book on ODE.

If the English translation is not unavailable, I am fine with a book that contains a "list" of special differential equations and their solutions.

I am just interested in knowing special types of ordinary differential equations. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Maybe the reference is to:
    "Differentialgleichungen: Lösungsmethoden und Lösungen", by Erich Kamke.
    Notice that it was printed in two volumes.

It was reprinted in 2013, Softcover, ISBN 9783663120582 / 3663120589

Search for any book by title, author and language. https://www.bookfinder.com
    Apart from his “Theory of Sets”, I see no books by Erich Kamke that are not in German.

4. May 27, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Some of his books are translated to Russian, but I guess it doesn't help. :biggrin:

5. May 27, 2017 #4
    Yes, I don't know Russian also.

Any other similar book or online resource ? I don't think I am the only one who needs such a book.

6. May 29, 2017 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

If you type ' ordinary differential equation solutions ' into the search title field of bookfinder.com you will get many results.
    Use google to find those that are available on the web as pdf files on .edu sites.

7. May 30, 2017 #6
    I am overwhelmed by the amount of results. Can you help me sort some good ones out ?

8. May 30, 2017 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I doubt it. I do not know what you really want or why you want it. If you find a useful book in a library or on the web, you can buy a copy, through Amazon if possible to benefit PF. You can also “invent” the title of the book you want and search to find that. Then use a library or google books to see if it has what you want.

9. May 30, 2017 #8
    Ok no problem. Thanks for help anyways.

10. Jun 1, 2017 #9
    The Kamke book is basically a long list of solution methods without too much insight, followed by a database of differential equations and their solutions. A similar book is Murphy 'ordinary differential equations and their solutions'. These databases are used for validation of symbolic ode solvers (maple, mathematica, maxima, ...).

If you want the actual list of differential equations from both Kamke and Murphy, you can find it in the repository of the maxima CAS:

https://github.com/andrejv/maxima/tree/master/share/contrib/diffequations/tests

Most of these odes are not that special and the list was compiled in a time when classification of odes was immature. A number of first order odes in the list for instance are linear, separable or exact, so not very interesting. There are more logical classification methods based on the properties of the Galois group or the symmetries.

11. Jun 1, 2017 #10

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

http://dlmf.nist.gov/
    This is the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical functions - the successor to Abramowitz and Stegun. Consider this as a possible source for what you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted