Transmission Electron Microscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a quick and concise reference to the TEM technique for a monograph. The speaker is not interested in details on crystallography and is specifically looking for information on shape and size of nanoparticles. It is suggested to compare the images obtained with previous literature and to take images from various areas of the sample for an unbiased view. The speaker expresses gratitude for the advice and clarifies that they are looking for general information on the theory behind TEM.
Telemachus
I'm looking for a quick and well synthetized reference to the TEM technique. I'm writing a monography, we used TEM on a sample (just sended it to the lab, I dind't do the work). I don't have any reference, and I wanted to give a kind of introduction in the monography to TEM. I don't want a whole book on the stuff, I need the basics, some equations, and some cualitative explanation of the Transmission Electron Microscope, the components of it, how it works, and how the samples have to be prepared.

Anybody has any quick and solid reference to TEM? I'm not interested on the details on crystallography. The samples were nanoparticles, we just used the microscope to see the size of the nanoparticles, we didn't do any crystallography. So if it can be avoided it would be great that way.

Thanks in advance.

(I didn't know where to post this topic, if this is not the proper place, please move it)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look, this is a very broad subject. If you are simply looking for a quick, wide-view of what Transmission electron Microscopy can do, the Wikipedia page is pretty detailed in that regard. I guess I'm trying to say that a TEM image can inform you about a broad range of features in the sample, you'll have to be more specific: are you looking for shape?size?structure? all...

Likes Telemachus
Just shape and size of the nanoparticles. Thanks for your answer :)

Ok. Simple enough. Here's what I would do: If this is not a novel material, i.e. someone has done this before (reported in literature), compare the images they got with what you had for consistency. TEM devices allow you to add a scale to your images, so you can get an idea of the size as your are viewing the images. Now if your material is a breakthrough in materials and has not been investigated previously, you might have to "describe" the shape and report the size of particles as you get them. My advice is to try to get images from various areas of your sample to get a more un-biased view of the morphology.
Good luck

Likes Telemachus
Thank you, but what I was actually looking for is something more general. The characterization of nanoparticles has been already done, I just wanted to write some general lines on the theory behind the TEM for the monography.

1. What is Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)?

Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) is an imaging technique used to visualize the internal structure of thin samples at a high resolution. It works by passing a beam of electrons through a sample, which is then transmitted onto a fluorescent screen or a digital detector. The resulting image provides information about the sample's composition, crystalline structure, and defects.

2. How does TEM differ from other microscopy techniques?

TEM differs from other microscopy techniques, such as light microscopy, in that it uses an electron beam instead of a beam of visible light. This allows for a much higher resolution, as the wavelength of electrons is much smaller than that of visible light. TEM is also capable of imaging structures at a much smaller scale, down to the atomic level.

3. What are the main components of a TEM?

The main components of a TEM include an electron source, a series of electromagnetic lenses to focus the electron beam, a sample holder, an imaging system, and a detector. The electron source is typically a heated filament or field emission gun, and the imaging system can be either a fluorescent screen or a digital camera.

4. What are the limitations of TEM?

One of the main limitations of TEM is that the sample must be thin enough for the electrons to pass through. This often requires specialized sample preparation techniques, which can be time-consuming and may introduce artifacts into the sample. Additionally, TEM is not suitable for imaging samples that are sensitive to high-energy electrons, such as biological samples.

5. What are the applications of TEM?

TEM has a wide range of applications in various fields, including materials science, nanotechnology, and biology. It is commonly used to study the structure and properties of materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and polymers, at the atomic level. In biology, TEM is used to visualize biological structures, such as cells and tissues, and study their functions and interactions.