Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmitting visible light via optical fiber

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    Hi,

A colleague of mine at work has this idea of using a focusing lens to focus the visible light into a optical fiber and guide it to some destination, e.g. room with no windows.

I have no experience in optics, or in QED (only some "layman" knowledge of monochromatic light and its interactions with surfaces/electrons). Is it possible to guide the "chaotic" visible light down the fiber? What are the affects on light intensity, energy, reflections, refractions and so on, when performing such an experiment?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    Yes, this is possible, you may have seen some of those fibre-optic lamps in shops. They have hundreds of fibres like a flower thing. Doctors and spys also use these things for looking into your body of through a keyhole depending on their occupation.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can buy 'light pipes' for feeding daylight into internal rooms but I believe they use large diameter reflective conduits rather than optical fibres. This could be because it is a cheaper solution for channelling light over short distances where the low loss of optical fibres doesn't have much advantage.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4
    Thanks for your replies!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook