In summary, the conversation discusses setting up shell balances in cylindrical geometry, specifically in the context of a fluid flowing down a vertical pipe. The rate of momentum entering the shell is calculated using the cross-sectional area of the annular shell, which leads to confusion about the omission of the ##(\Delta r)^2## term in the book. It is explained that this term is negligible in the thin annular region being considered. The authors also divided the balance equation by 2πΔrL instead of 2πrΔrL, which is equivalent but may have been done for aesthetic reasons.
MexChemE
Hello, PF! I have some doubts about setting up shell balances in a cylindrical geometry. Consider a fluid flowing down a vertical pipe. In order to perform the momentum balance, we take a cylindrical (annular) shell of length L and width Δr. The analysis of such system can be found in chapter 2 of BSL's Transport Phenomena (section 2.3).

Now, in the book, the rate of momentum entering the shell in the axial direction through z = 0 is given by
[tex](2\pi r\Delta r) \left. \phi_{zz} \right|_{z=0}[/tex]
Where apparently [itex]2\pi r\Delta r[/itex] is the cross-sectional area of the annular shell. This confuses me; if I calculate the area by integrating over the annular cross-section, I get this
[tex]A = \int_r^{r+ \Delta r} \int_0^{2 \pi} r \ d \theta dr = \pi (2r \Delta r + (\Delta r)^2)[/tex]
I don't understand why was the [itex](\Delta r)^2[/itex] term left out from the area expression in the book.

Also, after setting up a shell balance in cartesian coordinates, we have to divide the entire balance equation by the entire volume of the shell (see section 2.2 of BSL). Apparently, this is not the case in cylindrical coordinates. Instead of dividing by 2πrΔrL, the authors divided by 2πΔrL; why did they leave out r?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Engineering news on Phys.org
MexChemE said:
Hello, PF! I have some doubts about setting up shell balances in a cylindrical geometry. Consider a fluid flowing down a vertical pipe. In order to perform the momentum balance, we take a cylindrical (annular) shell of length L and width Δr. The analysis of such system can be found in chapter 2 of BSL's Transport Phenomena (section 2.3).

Now, in the book, the rate of momentum entering the shell in the axial direction through z = 0 is given by
[tex](2\pi r\Delta r) \left. \phi_{zz} \right|_{z=0}[/tex]
Where apparently [itex]2\pi r\Delta r[/itex] is the cross-sectional area of the annular shell. This confuses me; if I calculate the area by integrating over the annular cross-section, I get this
[tex]A = \int_r^{r+ \Delta r} \int_0^{2 \pi} r \ d \theta dr = \pi (2r \Delta r + (\Delta r)^2)[/tex]
I don't understand why was the [itex](\Delta r)^2[/itex] term left out from the area expression in the book.
They are looking at a thin annular region where the ##(\Delta r)^2## is going to be negligible. They are going to be dividing by 2πΔrL and letting Δr approach zero, so the ##(\Delta r)^2## contribution will drop out anyway.
Also, after setting up a shell balance in cartesian coordinates, we have to divide the entire balance equation by the entire volume of the shell (see section 2.2 of BSL). Apparently, this is not the case in cylindrical coordinates. Instead of dividing by 2πrΔrL, the authors divided by 2πΔrL; why did they leave out r?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Maybe they liked the form of the resulting equation better. It doesn't really matter. If they divided by r, the resulting equation would be equivalent.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
They are going to be dividing by 2πΔrL and letting Δr approach zero, so the ##(\Delta r)^2## contribution will drop out anyway.
Got it. I did think that at first, but the limit had not been taken at that point, so the confusion arised.
Chestermiller said:
Maybe they liked the form of the resulting equation better. It doesn't really matter. If they divided by r, the resulting equation would be equivalent.
I checked for myself and the equations ended up being the same. Personally, I prefer dividing by the whole volume because it makes more sense to me.

Thanks for your input, Chet!

1. What are shell balances in cylindrical coordinates?

Shell balances in cylindrical coordinates refer to the equations and principles used for analyzing and solving problems related to cylindrical shells. These shells are three-dimensional objects with a curved surface that can be described using cylindrical coordinates, which include the radius, angle, and height.

2. What types of problems can be solved using shell balances in cylindrical coordinates?

Shell balances in cylindrical coordinates can be used to solve various problems related to cylindrical shells, such as determining the stresses and strains in the shell, calculating the displacement and deformation of the shell, and analyzing the stability and buckling behavior of the shell under different loading conditions.

3. What are the main equations used in shell balances in cylindrical coordinates?

The main equations used in shell balances in cylindrical coordinates include the hoop stress equation, the longitudinal stress equation, and the shear stress equation. These equations take into account the geometry of the cylindrical shell and the applied loads to determine the stresses and strains in the shell.

4. How are boundary conditions applied in shell balances in cylindrical coordinates?

Boundary conditions are applied in shell balances in cylindrical coordinates by specifying the constraints at the edges of the shell. These constraints can include fixed or free boundaries, as well as different types of support conditions, which affect the behavior and deformation of the shell under load.

5. What are some real-world applications of shell balances in cylindrical coordinates?

Shell balances in cylindrical coordinates have numerous real-world applications, including the design and analysis of pressure vessels, pipes, and storage tanks. They are also used in the aerospace industry for designing and testing rocket and missile casings, as well as in the construction of oil and gas pipelines and offshore structures.