TRAPATT diodes -- looking for sources of parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of TRAPATT diodes for experiments, but the name of a manufacturer cannot be found. TRAPATT diodes are a type of avalanche diode that produce short pulses of microwave energy. However, they are no longer in use due to high noise levels. The conversation also mentions a potential risk of overheating and releasing smoke from the diodes.
Majorana
Hello everybody,
I wish to do some experiments with TRAPATT (TRApped Plasma Avalanche Triggered Transit) diodes, but after much googling I was unable to find the name of any manufacturer of such diodes.

Anybody with useful pieces of info?...
Thank you! :bow:

Engineering news on Phys.org
A TRAPATT diode is an avalanche diode, operating in a mode that produces short pulses of microwave energy.
The mode is no longer used as they were high noise devices, a product of the 1970s.
See; Theory and Operating Characteristics of TRAPATT Amplifiers. 1977. R.W.Laton, G.I.Haddad, M.I.Grace. 7.15 MByte download
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b020021.pdf

Thank you very much to both of you... Ouch! It seems quite an adventure! Driving a general purpose diode into a region that, of course, is not covered nor described in its specifications... I forecast a lot of smoke and smell of burned plastics in the near future! :oldbiggrin: :angel:

Majorana said:
I forecast a lot of smoke and smell of burned plastics in the near future!

Ahh yes! The sweet smell of an overworked component. Please keep us updated on how much of that "magic smoke" you release into the wild! (and how.)

1. What are TRAPATT diodes and how do they work?

TRAPATT (Trapped Plasma Avalanche Triggered Transit) diodes are high-frequency, high-power semiconductor devices that are used for microwave signal generation. They operate by creating a plasma of electrons within the device, which then undergoes a process of rapid multiplication and causes a high-frequency oscillation.

2. What are the main applications of TRAPATT diodes?

TRAPATT diodes are mainly used in high-frequency microwave circuits for applications such as radar systems, satellite communications, and wireless networks. They are also used in electronic warfare and defense systems.

3. What are the advantages of using TRAPATT diodes?

TRAPATT diodes have a high power output and can operate at high frequencies, making them suitable for applications that require high power and fast switching speeds. They are also relatively compact and have a low cost compared to other high-power microwave devices.

4. Where can I find sources for TRAPATT diodes?

TRAPATT diodes can be sourced from a variety of electronic component suppliers, both online and in physical stores. It is important to ensure that the supplier is reputable and provides high-quality components to ensure the proper functioning of the diodes in your circuit.

5. What factors should I consider when selecting TRAPATT diodes?

When selecting TRAPATT diodes, it is important to consider the desired frequency range, power output, and voltage ratings. It is also important to ensure that the diodes are suitable for your specific application and that they are compatible with the rest of your circuit. Additionally, consider the reputation and reliability of the supplier and the quality of the diodes they provide.