TRAPATT diodes -- looking for sources of parts

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Majorana
Messages
99
Reaction score
43
Hello everybody,
I wish to do some experiments with TRAPATT (TRApped Plasma Avalanche Triggered Transit) diodes, but after much googling I was unable to find the name of any manufacturer of such diodes.

Anybody with useful pieces of info?...
Thank you! :bow:
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
A TRAPATT diode is an avalanche diode, operating in a mode that produces short pulses of microwave energy.
The mode is no longer used as they were high noise devices, a product of the 1970s.
See; Theory and Operating Characteristics of TRAPATT Amplifiers. 1977. R.W.Laton, G.I.Haddad, M.I.Grace. 7.15 MByte download
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b020021.pdf
 
Thank you very much to both of you... Ouch! It seems quite an adventure! Driving a general purpose diode into a region that, of course, is not covered nor described in its specifications... I forecast a lot of smoke and smell of burned plastics in the near future! :oldbiggrin: :angel:
 
Majorana said:
I forecast a lot of smoke and smell of burned plastics in the near future!

Ahh yes! The sweet smell of an overworked component. Please keep us updated on how much of that "magic smoke" you release into the wild! (and how.)