Travelling to Mars at constant velocity? Weightless?

In summary: How can you feel "pressured", but weightless? I'm not even sure what "pressured" means. Sorry, but maintaining constant velocity while under the influence of gravity requires applying a force opposite the gravitational force. A force you feel.So, if you are not applying a force to counteract the gravity, you would feel weightless?So, if you are not applying a force to counteract the gravity, you would feel weightless?Yes, that's correct.
chi_rho
If I'm traveling on a spaceship at a constant velocity (say 10000 m/s) towards Mars will I feel weightless, or will I feel nearly weightless because I will still be slightly affected by gravity?

I know that when astronauts are in the ISS they feel weightless because they are in a constant state of free-fall, but I don't feel like the same idea applies to the spaceship traveling to Mars. Any clarification would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
chi_rho said:
If I'm traveling on a spaceship at a constant velocity (say 10000 m/s) towards Mars will I feel weightless, or will I feel nearly weightless because I will still be slightly affected by gravity?

I know that when astronauts are in the ISS they feel weightless because they are in a constant state of free-fall, but I don't feel like the same idea applies to the spaceship traveling to Mars.
Why wouldn't it apply? They're still in orbit.

DaveC426913 said:
Why wouldn't it apply? They're still in orbit.

How are they still considered to be in orbit if they are traveling to another planet, not around? Can we consider anything traveling through space to be in an orbit of some type?

chi_rho said:
How are they still considered to be in orbit if they are traveling to another planet, not around? Can we consider anything traveling through space to be in an orbit of some type?
Not anything, just anything near the sun that is not under power.

Likes chi_rho
DaveC426913 said:
Not anything, just anything near the sun that is not under power.

Ok that makes sense! Thanks!

Although, it' not the 'in orbit' that makes them weightless, it's the 'not under power'.

If they were floating one jillion miles away in interstellar space, they'd effectively be stopped in space, not exactly in orbit, but they'd still be weightless.

I would generalize to say that any time you are not under power in space you are in free fall toward "something", it's just that "something" may not always be readily apparent.

russ_watters said:
I would generalize to say that any time you are not under power in space you are in free fall toward "something", it's just that "something" may not always be readily apparent.

During a trip to Mars the velocity wouldn't be constant in free fall.

DrStupid said:
During a trip to Mars the velocity wouldn't be constant in free fall.
True! Dave added the important qualifier, that "not under power" is the key state of affairs during a normal trip. Hopefully the OP now recognizes that "constant velocity" is an unusual condition to apply. I suspect he mistakenly believed that when coasting during a normal trip, velocity would be constant.

I will be deviding you're question into 2, if you don't mind.

If you have constant velocity Then the added forced to you will be zero, even if gavity affects you, constant velocity means something is negating this gravity.
That means weightless (not massless). On the other hand you might feel presured by the forces.

On the other hand, In space, espacially on a trip to a different planet and in a solar system like ours, it is unlikely that if you feel significent force there will be something to negate it in space. So in a free fall to a planet you will change velocity, meaning acceleration . And that means force like F=ma using angular acceleration.

Hope I helped and not mislead, even though members here have deeper understanding of this subject.

Spring said:
If you have constant velocity Then the added forced to you will be zero, even if gavity affects you, constant velocity means something is negating this gravity.
That means weightless (not massless). On the other hand you might feel presured by the forces.
How can you feel "pressured", but weightless? I'm not even sure what "pressured" means. Sorry, but maintaining constant velocity while under the influence of gravity requires applying a force opposite the gravitational force. A force you feel.

What is constant velocity and how does it apply to travelling to Mars?

Constant velocity refers to an object moving at a steady speed in a straight line without any change in direction. In terms of travelling to Mars, this means maintaining a consistent speed throughout the journey without any acceleration or deceleration.

What are the benefits of travelling at a constant velocity to Mars?

Travelling at a constant velocity reduces the amount of fuel and energy needed for the journey. It also minimizes the risk of mechanical failures and makes it easier to plan and execute the trip.

What does it mean to be weightless while travelling to Mars?

Being weightless while travelling to Mars means experiencing a state of zero gravity. This is because the spacecraft is in a state of free fall towards Mars, causing the astronauts and objects inside to float and appear weightless.

What are the challenges of travelling at constant velocity and experiencing weightlessness?

The main challenge of travelling at constant velocity is maintaining the exact speed and direction needed to reach Mars. Any small deviation can result in a significant difference in the destination. Weightlessness can also cause physical and psychological challenges for astronauts, such as muscle atrophy and disorientation.

How do scientists and engineers address these challenges?

To address these challenges, scientists and engineers use advanced navigation systems and precise calculations to ensure the spacecraft stays on course. They also provide astronauts with specialized training and equipment to help them adapt to the effects of weightlessness during the journey.