Triangle inequality question

In summary, we are trying to show that $|(n+z)^2|\leq (n - |z|)^2$, where z is a complex number and n is a natural number. By expanding the expression $|(n+z)^2|$, we get $|n^2 + 2nz + z^2|$, which is less than or equal to $n^2 + 2n|z| + |z|^2$. However, we are unsure of how to make the final connection to prove the inequality. We know that $n$ and $z$ are both complex numbers, but we are unsure if there is a specific relationship between them that will help us prove the inequality.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to show $|(n+z)^2|\leq (n -|z|)^2$ where is complex

$|(n+z)^2| = |n^2 + 2nz + z^2| \leq n^2 + 2n|z| + |z|^2$ But I can't figure out the connection for the final piece.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I am trying to show $|(n+z)^2|\leq n^2 -|z|^2$ where is complex
I don't think that you really mean that.
$|(2+i)^2|=|3+4i|=5$
$(2)^2-|i|^2=3$

Plato said:
I don't think that you really mean that.
$|(2+i)^2|=|3+4i|=5$
$(2)^2-|i|^2=3$

This may help (below) then but I figure the above was just a straight application.
$$
\sum_{n = N+1}^{ \infty}\frac{1}{(z+n)^2}
$$
$R>0$ and $N>2R$. For the inequality, we are assuming $|z|<R$. Additionally, $n>N$.

So I want to show
$$
\left|\frac{1}{(z+n)^2}\right|\leq\frac{1}{(n-|z|^)2}
$$
So if that is true, then $|(z+n)^2|\leq (n -|z|)^2$.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

$|(n + z)^2|\leq n^2 + 2n|z| + |z|^2\leq n^2 - 2n|z| + |z|^2\leq (n - |z|)^2$

Is this correct?

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
I am trying to show $|(n+z)^2|\leq (n -|z|)^2$ where is complex

$|(n+z)^2| = |n^2 + 2nz + z^2| \leq n^2 + 2n|z| + |z|^2$ But I can't figure out the connection for the final piece.

Are n and z both complex? Or is only z complex?

Prove It said:
Are n and z both complex? Or is only z complex?

z and n is a natural

What is the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side.

How is the triangle inequality theorem used?

The triangle inequality theorem is used to determine whether a set of three lengths can form a triangle. It can also be used to find the range of possible values for the length of the third side of a triangle.

What is the converse of the triangle inequality theorem?

The converse of the triangle inequality theorem states that if the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the length of the third side, then the three lengths can form a triangle.

What is an example of the triangle inequality theorem in real life?

An example of the triangle inequality theorem in real life can be seen in the construction of bridges. Engineers use this theorem to ensure that the bridge can support the weight of vehicles and other loads without collapsing.

How does the triangle inequality theorem relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem is closely related to the Pythagorean theorem. In fact, the Pythagorean theorem is a special case of the triangle inequality theorem, where the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides is equal to the square of the longest side.