Tricky complex analysis questions....

In summary, the conversation discusses creating rules for combining functions with a pole at c and finding the poles of a specific function. It also suggests exploring the Laurent expansion of f and g around the pole c and seeing the effects of arithmetic operations on the resulting series.
Zukias
i.
Let f and g be functions with a pole at c. Create rules (and prove them) about how we can combine f and g at c.

and ii: Find the poles of the function :
[tex]\frac{cotz+cosz}{sin2z}[/tex]

and classify these poles using part i.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean what happens to c when considering f+g ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Do you mean what happens to c when considering f+g ?

I think it means when functions are multiplied, added, substracted, divided etc, that's what I'm assuming anyway

I'll say write the Laurent expansion of f and g around the pole c and see what happens when you apply the arithmetic operations on the series.

i. Rule 1: If f and g both have a pole of order m at c, then their sum f+g also has a pole of order m at c.

Proof: Let f(z) = \frac{a_m}{(z-c)^m} + ... + \frac{a_1}{z-c} + a_0 and g(z) = \frac{b_m}{(z-c)^m} + ... + \frac{b_1}{z-c} + b_0. Since both f and g have a pole of order m at c, we can write f(z) = \frac{a_m}{(z-c)^m} + h(z) and g(z) = \frac{b_m}{(z-c)^m} + k(z), where h and k are analytic at c. Then, f+g = \frac{a_m+b_m}{(z-c)^m} + h(z) + k(z), which has a pole of order m at c.

Rule 2: If f has a pole of order m at c and g has a pole of order n at c, where m>n, then their product f*g has a pole of order m at c.

Proof: Let f(z) = \frac{a_m}{(z-c)^m} + ... + \frac{a_1}{z-c} + a_0 and g(z) = \frac{b_n}{(z-c)^n} + ... + \frac{b_1}{z-c} + b_0. Since m>n, we can write f(z) = \frac{a_m}{(z-c)^m} + h(z) and g(z) = \frac{b_n}{(z-c)^n} + k(z), where h and k are analytic at c. Then, f*g = \frac{a_mb_n}{(z-c)^{m+n}} + ... + \frac{a_1b_n}{(z-c)^{n+1}} + \frac{a_mb_1}{(z-c)^{m+1}} + h(z)k(z), which has a pole of order m at c.

ii. The function \frac{cotz+cosz}{sin2z} can be rewritten as \frac{cosz}{sinzsin2z} = \frac{1}{2

FAQ: Tricky complex analysis questions....

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is a powerful tool used to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What makes complex analysis tricky?

Complex analysis can be tricky because it involves studying functions of complex variables, which can have unexpected properties and behaviors. Additionally, the concepts and techniques used in complex analysis, such as contour integration and Cauchy's integral theorem, can be challenging to grasp.

3. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in the real world, such as in electrical engineering, where it is used to analyze AC circuits, and in fluid dynamics, where it is used to solve problems related to flow and turbulence. It is also used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and many other fields.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky complex analysis problems?

To improve your skills in solving tricky complex analysis problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the fundamental concepts and techniques. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when dealing with tricky complex analysis questions?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when dealing with tricky complex analysis questions include misinterpreting the properties of complex numbers, forgetting to consider branch cuts and branch points, and making errors in contour integration. It is also important to check for consistency in solutions, as complex analysis problems often have multiple solutions.