1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Fourier Transform problem for an exponential function

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the fourier transform, using the definition of the fourier transform [itex]\widehat{f}[/itex]([itex]\nu[/itex])=∫[itex]^{∞}_{-∞}[/itex]f(t)e[itex]^{-2 \pi i \nu t}[/itex]dt, of the function f(t)=2 [itex]\pi[/itex]t[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{- \pi t^{2}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I have the answer:

(1-2[itex]{\pi \nu^{2}}[/itex])e[itex]^{- \pi \nu^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

After inserting f(t) into the equation for the transform, I added the exponents on the e terms, factored out -[itex]\pi[/itex], and added and subtracted [itex]\nu^{2}[/itex] to get

∫[itex]^{∞}_{-∞}[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex]t[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{- \pi (t^{2}+2 i \nu t + \nu^{2} - \nu^{2})}[/itex]dt

I then substituted x=t+i[itex]\nu[/itex] to get

∫[itex]^{∞}_{-∞}[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex](t+i[itex]\nu[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{- \pi (x^{2}+ \nu^{2} )}[/itex]dt

at this point I know that I should be able to solve the integral, probably by integrating by parts, but I am really just lost. This seems like such a tricky integral. I thought maybe squaring the equation to get a double integral and then converting to polar coordinates would work but I couldn't get that to work out either. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your last expression is wrong: it should be [itex] \int_{-\infty + i \nu}^{\infty + i \nu} 2 \pi x^2 e^{-\pi (x^2 + \nu^2)}\, dx , [/itex], which can be replaced by the same integral from x = -infinity to +infinity along the real x-axis (why)? Now int x^2*exp(-x^2) dx can be attacked using integration by parts.

RGV

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook