Tricky Multiple integral word problem

In summary, the shape has a square from the top and bottom, sides are a triangle, and it has a circle in the middle.
numberonenacho
So I've been talking with some people about this problem, but I can't seem to find the answer, or even set it up!

"A region in space, when viewed from 3 different views, looks like a circle, looks like a square and looks like a triangle. Describe this object. And then use multiple integration to determine its volume"

So if you think of any two shapes its pretty easy. Such as square and triangle = pyramid, circle and square = cylinder and so on. But I couldn't figure out a shape for when you add the third shape. And then Figuring out the integral would be even more difficult.
What do you guys think about it?
=D

Physics news on Phys.org
you almost had it with the circle+square=cylinder, what if you were to have only a square from the "top/bottom" and the sides a triangle?

Im still not getting it.. Pictures would help. >.<
So Square base and top. Sides triangle? Where would the circle go?

it's originally a cylinder, 2r=height, so from 2 sides you'd have a square. and now cut off some part in order to get a triangle from the other 2 sides. So it looks like a wedge with a circular base and square top/bottom.

OH I think I get it now. So bascially, its 1/2 a cylinder right?

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8178/shapehi9.gif

So side view is square, bottom is circle
and other sides are triangles. Thanks!

But how would I find the volume of that shape? :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
hm..depends how you place the axis's on it, but I think you'll need to add 2 integrals due to the circle you'll have the top and bottom part of it.

and it might be better to cut the cylinder by 2 lines so looking at the triangle side you can cut it at the center of the circle and get 2 symmetric sides so you can just do 2xsome integral to find the volume.

Well if I cut the cylinder in half diagonally, couldn't I just take the volume of the cylinder and then divide it by two? When you say cut the cylinder with two lines what do you mean?

And I have no idea how to set up the integral. >.<
could you get me started please?

o yea you could just do that.

Use cylindrical coordinates to setup your integral and then just multiply it by .5 to find the volume.

could you help me set it up? that's the part I am really bad at. Many thanks for discussing this problem with me. =)

well you have [tex]r,\theta,z[/tex] in cylindrical coordinates.

r-?
theta-?
z-?

z being the height and from what we've written you know what it is.
so just find the r and the z and you can setup the integral.

theta would be 0 - 2pi?
z would be the height soo let's say 0 - a
what would r be?

r would be 0 to the circle's radius, say R, and the height of the cylinder can be described in terms of R. So you can have the square when looking at it from 2 sides.

what would the actual integrand be? [tex]rdrdz\theta[/tex]
r - 0-R
theta - 0-2pi
z - 0-R

?

no the z=2R because you need the diameter of the circle to = the height in order to get the square when looking at it from that side.

and yes the integrand will just be rdrdzd(theta).

[tex] 2\pi (\int \int rdrdz) [/tex]
0-2R for first integral and 0-R for second one. how would I go from there? the rdr is confusing me a little.

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta\int_0^R rdr\int_0^{2R}dz[/tex]

the rdr just means integrate r w.r.t. r just like: [tex]\int x dx[/tex]

I got 2pi r^3 for final answer
after dividing by two. How does that sound?

yep that's what I got.

the volume for a cylinder is pi r^2 *h. h=2r ->2pir^3 and then *.5 = pi r^3

cool! Thanks a lot for all your help. ^_^

1. What is a tricky multiple integral word problem?

A tricky multiple integral word problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area or volume under a complex curve or surface by using multiple integrals. These problems often require careful analysis and creative problem-solving skills.

2. How do I approach a tricky multiple integral word problem?

The best approach to solving a tricky multiple integral word problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by visualizing the problem and identifying any patterns or symmetries. Then, use your knowledge of integral rules and techniques to solve each part separately before combining them to find the overall solution.

3. What are some common challenges when solving tricky multiple integral word problems?

Some common challenges when solving tricky multiple integral word problems include correctly setting up the integrals, identifying the appropriate boundaries, and choosing the correct order of integration. It is also important to carefully evaluate any given conditions or constraints to ensure that the solution is valid.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky multiple integral word problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving tricky multiple integral word problems is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to strengthen your understanding of integral concepts and techniques.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving tricky multiple integral word problems?

One helpful tip for solving tricky multiple integral word problems is to use symmetry to simplify the problem. You can also try changing the order of integration or using different coordinate systems to make the integrals easier to evaluate. Additionally, it is important to check your work and carefully consider the units of measurement to ensure that your final answer is correct.