Change of Variables in Multiple Integrals

In summary, we are given a double integral of x^2 dA, where R is the region bounded by the ellipse 9x^2 + 4y^2 = 36. We use the given transformation of x = 2u, y = 3v to convert the ellipse into a circle centered at the origin. By dividing by 36 and replacing x and y with 2u and 3v, we get u^2 + v^2 = 1. We then let u^2 + v^2 = r^2 and find that the bounds of r are 0 to 1 and the bounds of theta are 0 to 2pi. The function x^2 is replaced by
harpazo
Let S S = double integrals

S S x^2 dA; where R is the region bounded by the ellipse
9x^2 + 4y^2 = 36.

The given transformation is x = 2u, y = 3v

I decided to change the given ellipse to a circle centered at the origin.

9x^2 + 4y^2 = 36

I divided across by 36.

x^2/4 + y^2/9 = 1

I replaced x with 2u and y with 3v.

I got u^2 + v^2 = 1.

I let u^2 + v^2 = r^2.

r^2 = 1

sqrt{r^2} = sqrt{1}

r = 1

This tells me the bounds of r to be 0 to 1. The bounds of theta are 0 to 2pi.

dA = rdrdθ

The function x^2, I replaced by (2u)^2 = 4u^2.

I found the Jacobian to be 6.

The double integral set I came up with is

S S 4u^2 6 rdrdθ, where the inner bounds are r = 0 to r = 1 and the outer bounds are θ = 0 to θ = 2pi.

I then pulled out the constant 6.

6 S S 4u^2 r drdθ

When I evaluate the double integral, I cannot finish the problem. Shouldn't rdr be replaced with du? If this true, then the inner bounds should be in terms of u not r. I would like someone to tell me where I went wrong and to set up the correct double integrals for this problem. Do not evaluate the integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Let S S = double integrals

$\int \int x^2 dA$; where $R$ is the region bounded by the ellipse
$9x^2 + 4y^2 = 36$.

The given transformation is $x = 2u$, $y = 3v$

I decided to change the given ellipse to a circle centered at the origin.

$9x^2 + 4y^2 = 36$

I divided across by $36$.

$x^{\frac{2}{4}} + y^{\frac{2}{9}} = 1$

I replaced $x$ with $2u$ and $y$ with $3v$.

I got $u^2 + v^2 = 1$.

I let $u^2 + v^2 = r^2$.

$r^2 = 1$

$\sqrt{r^2} = \sqrt{1}$

$r = 1$

This tells me the bounds of $r$ to be $0$ to $1$. The bounds of theta are $0$ to $2 \pi$.

$dA = rdrdθ$

The function $x^2$, I replaced by $(2u)^2$ = $4u^2$.

I found the Jacobian to be 6.

The double integral set I came up with is

$\int \int 4u^2 6 r \ drdθ$, where the inner bounds are $r = 0 \ to \ r = 1$ and the outer bounds are $θ = 0 \ to \ θ = 2pi$.

I then pulled out the constant 6.

$6 \int \int 4u^2 r dr dθ$

When I evaluate the double integral, I cannot finish the problem. Shouldn't rdr be replaced with du? If this true, then the inner bounds should be in terms of u not r. I would like someone to tell me where I went wrong and to set up the correct double integrals for this problem. Do not evaluate the integrals.

Just improving the readability a bit.

I found the answer. I let u = rcos(theta). I got 6pi.

What is the concept of change of variables in multiple integrals?

Change of variables in multiple integrals is a technique used to simplify the evaluation of integrals with multiple variables. It involves substituting one set of variables with another set of variables in order to transform the integral into a form that is easier to evaluate.

Why is change of variables important in multiple integrals?

Change of variables is important because it allows us to solve integrals that may be difficult or impossible to evaluate using traditional methods. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions.

What are the steps involved in changing variables in multiple integrals?

The steps involved in changing variables in multiple integrals are:

1. Identify the variables in the integral and their limits of integration.
  2. Choose a suitable transformation that will simplify the integral.
  3. Calculate the Jacobian of the transformation, which is the determinant of the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables.
  4. Substitute the new variables and their limits of integration into the integral.
  5. Simplify and evaluate the transformed integral.

What are some common transformations used in change of variables in multiple integrals?

Some common transformations used in change of variables in multiple integrals are:

• Polar coordinates: used for circular or symmetric regions.
  • Cylindrical coordinates: used for cylindrical or cylindrical-symmetric regions.
  • Spherical coordinates: used for spherical or spherical-symmetric regions.
  • Substitution with trigonometric functions: used for integrals involving trigonometric functions.
  • Matrix transformations: used for linear transformations of the variables.

What are some applications of change of variables in multiple integrals?

Change of variables in multiple integrals has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in calculating volumes, surface areas, moments of inertia, and centroids of complicated shapes. It is also used in solving differential equations, probability and statistics problems, and in various fields of engineering and science.