Tricky relfection/absorbtion optics question

• Thread starter zigga15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which wavelength of visible light would produce the brightest reflection through constructive interference if looking down on a slick of kerosene in the Persian Gulf from an airplane. It also discusses which wavelengths would produce the strongest transmitted intensity if scuba diving directly under the same region of the slick. The equations used to solve the problem are given and further resources for understanding thin-film interference are provided.
zigga15
I have the following question:

A disabled tanker leaks kerosene (n = 1.20) into the Persian
Gulf creating a large slick on the top of the water (n = 1.30).

a) If you looking straight down from an aeroplane, while the sun is overhead, at a region
of the slick where the thickness is 460 nm, for which wavelength(s) of visible light is
the reflection brightest because of constructive interference?

b) If you are scuba diving directly under this same region of the slick, for which
wavelength(s) of visible light is the transmitted intensity strongest?

I understand that some of the rays will be reflected and some absorbed by both mediums. I found this formulae somewhere in my lecture notes but I am not sure what the 'I's mean: I/I0 = ((n1 - n2)/(n1 + n2))^2

Ive been trying to slug this question out for ages and its frustrating because i kinda know what is going on just don't know how to quantify it, help is much appreciated - cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation, I_0 is the incident intensity and I the reflected ilntensity.
But that simple equation is for a single interface, not a thin film.
The derivation for a film is done in some grad EM texts.
(It is given as a problem in Jackson.) The results are:
a) The reflection is a maximum when \lambda=n_2 d=1.2X460 nm.
b) The transmission is a maximum when \lambda is twice that in (a).

ok thanks mate that really helps - cheers

You don't need to go to that depth to solve this problem. There are two standard simple equations for the wavelengths that produce maximum and minimum intensity in thin-film interference:

[tex]m \lambda = 2nt[/tex]

[tex](m + 1/2) \lambda = 2nt[/tex]

where m is an integer and t is the thickness of the film. One of these gives the maximum and the other one gives the minimum, but which one does which depends on the situation. I'm too lazy tonight to write a lecture about it on the spot, so look in your textbook for these formulas and read the discussion surrounding them (along with any examples). Or try here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/thinfilm.html

That page uses d instead of t, and includes a [itex]\cos \beta[/itex] to cover situations where the light isn't perpendicular (normal) to the film. In your problem, [itex]\cos \beta = 1[/itex].

After reading that stuff, if you have questions, ask away!

Last edited:
Yes, those were the simple formulas I used. The complicated derivation I referred to is to get the reflection coefficient as a function of wavelength.

1. How do reflection and absorption affect the color of an object?

Reflection and absorption are two optical properties that can affect the color of an object. Reflection occurs when light bounces off the surface of an object, while absorption is when light is absorbed by the object. The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected or absorbed by its surface. The colors we see are the wavelengths of light that are not absorbed by the object, but rather reflected back to our eyes.

2. Can an object reflect and absorb light at the same time?

Yes, an object can reflect and absorb light at the same time. This is because different wavelengths of light can be reflected and absorbed by different parts of the object's surface. For example, a red apple appears red because it reflects red wavelengths of light and absorbs all other colors.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect reflection and absorption?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light hits the surface of an object, can affect the amount of light that is reflected or absorbed. When light hits an object at a perpendicular angle, more light is reflected and less is absorbed. As the angle of incidence increases, more light is absorbed and less is reflected.

4. How do different materials affect reflection and absorption?

Different materials have different optical properties that can affect reflection and absorption. Smooth and shiny surfaces, such as mirrors, reflect more light than rough and dull surfaces. Dark and opaque materials tend to absorb more light than light and transparent materials. The composition and texture of a material can also play a role in its reflection and absorption properties.

5. How can reflection and absorption be used in practical applications?

Reflection and absorption have many practical applications in various fields. For example, in photography, different angles of light reflection and absorption can create different effects and enhance the overall composition of the image. In solar energy, materials that are good at absorbing light are used to convert sunlight into electricity. Reflection and absorption are also important in the design of clothing and other products, as they can affect the color and appearance of the material.