Trig functions and integration

In summary, the original problem is:\intx^{3}\sqrt{x^{2}+4}dxwhere u=x^2 +4.The summary states that the original problem can be simplified by substituting u=cos(x). This gives du=-sin(x)dx. This is easy to solve since du=-sin(x)dx, and therefore -\int(u^{-6}- u^{-4})du=-\int(-\frac{1- u^2}{u^6})du.
chaotixmonjuish
I'm having a wee bit of a problem with this

[tex]\int[/tex](tan x)^3*(sec x)^3dx

could i use a u substitution by pulling out a sec x tan x and using it as a du

Physics news on Phys.org
How about writing it in terms of sin(x) and cos(x) by noting that tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x) and sec(x)=1/cos(x)? And then make the sub u=sin(x)?

I think that would work.

That gives me an idea. Let u=tan x. Then evaluate the integral in terms of u. It appears to be a lot easier than doing the original one by parts.

This may help a bit more, the original problem was:

[tex]\int[/tex]x[tex]^{3}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+4}[/tex]

chaotixmonjuish said:
I'm having a wee bit of a problem with this

[tex]\int[/tex](tan x)^3*(sec x)^3dx

could i use a u substitution by pulling out a sec x tan x and using it as a du

Hi chaotixmonjuish! :smile:

(have a cubed: ³ and an int: ∫)

Hint: tan³x = sec²x.tanx - tanx … then it's obvious. :smile:

well here is what I did

u=secx
du=tanx*secxdx

so turn tan^2 into sec^2-1(u^2-1)*u^2du

chaotixmonjuish said:
well here is what I did

u=secx
du=tanx*secxdx

so turn tan^2 into sec^2-1

(u^2-1)*u^2du

Carry on then … ∫(u^4 -u^2)du = … ? :smile:

chaotixmonjuish said:
This may help a bit more, the original problem was:

[tex]\int[/tex]x[tex]^{3}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+4}[/tex]

It does help to give us the original problem, then post what you have it down to later as well. If you told us this before, we could have told you that u=x^2 +4 makes this a trivial integral =]

Okay, so I figured it out

since u=sec x
and that makes tan u^2-1

(u^2-1)u^2

that became a fairly easy integral...it was just getting to that step with those clever trig functions.

...Or just perhaps the obvious substitution. But you can do it the hard way if you want.

Perhaps because I tend to be "simple", my first reaction with any trig functions is to convert to sine and cosine. Here,
[tex]\int tan^3(x)sec^3(x)dx= \int \frac{sin^3(x)}{cos^6(x)}dx[/tex]
and since sine is to an odd, power, factor one out to use with the "dx"
[tex]= \int \frac{sin^2(x)}cos^6(x)}sin(x)dx= \int\frac{1- cos^2(x)}{cos^6(x)}sin(x)dx[/tex]
Now, let u= cos(x) so du= -sin(x)dx and we have
[tex]-\int \frac{1- u^2}{u^6}du= -\int(u^{-6}- u^{-4})du[/tex]
which is easy

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions, also known as trig functions, are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. They include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

2. How are trigonometric functions used in integration?

Trigonometric functions are used in integration to solve problems involving periodic functions. They are particularly useful in finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid with a curved surface.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral is a general form of an integral that does not have specific limits of integration. It is represented by an antiderivative function. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and represents the area under a curve between those limits.

4. How are trigonometric substitution and integration related?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used in integration to simplify the integrals of certain functions. It involves replacing a variable with a trigonometric function and then using trigonometric identities to solve the integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric functions and integration?

Trigonometric functions and integration have various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as motion, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves.