Trig integration complex analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of a particular integral and the determination of poles in the unit circle for a complex integral. The second part of the integral is found to be correct after using two substitutions. The poles are determined to be $z= 1 + 2a^{2} \pm a\ \sqrt{1+a^{2}}$, but it is found that none of these poles are within the unit circle.
Dustinsfl
$$
\int_0^{\pi}\frac{ad\theta}{a^2 + \sin^2\theta} = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ad\theta}{1 + 2a^2 - \cos\theta} = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{1 + a^2}}
$$
Consider $a > 0$ and $a < 0$

First I don't think the second part is correct. Shouldn't it be $1 + 2a^2 - \cos 2\theta$?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\int_0^{\pi}\frac{ad\theta}{a^2 + \sin^2\theta} = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ad\theta}{1 + 2a^2 - \cos\theta} = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{1 + a^2}}
$$
Consider $a > 0$ and $a < 0$

First I don't think the second part is correct. Shouldn't it be $1 + 2a^2 - \cos 2\theta$?

Hi dwsmith,

Using the double angle formula, $\cos 2\theta = 1-2\sin^{2}\theta\Rightarrow \sin^{2}\theta = \dfrac{1-\cos 2\theta}{2}$

\[\therefore\int_0^{\pi}\frac{ad\theta}{a^2 + \sin^2\theta} = \int_0^{\pi}\frac{2ad\theta}{1 + 2a^2 - \cos 2\theta}\]

Now use the substitution, $u=2\theta$. Then,

\[\int_0^{\pi}\frac{ad\theta}{a^2 + \sin^2\theta} = \int_0^{\pi}\frac{2ad\theta}{1 + 2a^2 - \cos 2\theta}=\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{adu}{1 + 2a^2 - \cos u}\]

Since the variable in a definite integral doesn't have any significance you can replace $u$ by $\theta$. So the second part is correct. It involves two substitutions to get there. I think this clarifies your doubt. :)

Last edited:
So by a Theorem from Complex Analysis by Lang (dont have book with me so I can't quote it), I can write $\frac{a}{1 + 2a^2 - \cos\theta}$ as
$$
\frac{2a}{-z^2 + (4a^2 + 2)z -1}
$$
Then
$$
z= 2a^2+1\mp 2a\sqrt{a^2+1}
$$
So
$$
\frac{2a}{(z-2a^2-1+ 2a\sqrt{a^2+1})(z-2a^2-1- 2a\sqrt{a^2+1})}
$$
So now I need to determine which poles are in the unit circle so I can apply the theorem that integral is the 2\pi times the sum of residues in the unit circle.
I am not sure how I can determine which pole(s) would be in the unit circle.

chisigma said:
If the poles are...

$\displaystyle z= 2\ a^{2}+1 \pm\ 2\ a\ \sqrt{a^{2}+1}$ (1)

... then is...

$\displaystyle |z|^{2}= (1+2\ a^{2})^{2} + 4\ a^{2}\ (1+a^{2})$ (2)

... so that You have to find the values of a for which is $\displaystyle |z|^{2}<1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

After simplifying, we obtain
$
8a^2(a^2+1)<0
$
which is never true for any real a.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

dwsmith said:
After simplifying, we obtain
$
8a^2(a^2+1)<0
$
which is never true for any real a.

I think I figure it out the it has to be $z= 2a^2+1-2a\sqrt{a^2+1}$.

There has been a trivial error from me reading Your message... I'm very sorry!(Headbang)...

If the definite trigonometric integral is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{a}{1+2\ a^{2} - \cos \theta}\ d \theta$ (1)

... then the integral in the complex plane becomes...

$\displaystyle \int_{C} \frac{2\ i\ a}{z^{2}-2\ (1+2\ a^{2})\ z +1}\ dz$ (2)

... and the pole of the function are...

$\displaystyle z= 1 + 2\ a^{2} \pm a\ \sqrt{1+a^{2}}$ (3)

The remaining is left to You...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

1. What is trigonometric integration?

Trigonometric integration is a type of integration that involves using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to solve integral equations. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve problems related to geometric shapes and periodic functions.

2. Why is complex analysis important in trigonometric integration?

Complex analysis is important in trigonometric integration because it allows us to extend the concept of integration to complex functions, which cannot be represented by real numbers alone. This is particularly useful when dealing with trigonometric functions, as they often involve complex numbers.

3. What techniques are commonly used in trigonometric integration?

Some common techniques used in trigonometric integration include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques are used to simplify complex trigonometric integrals into simpler forms that can be easily solved.

4. How can trigonometric integration be applied in real-world situations?

Trigonometric integration has a wide range of applications in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a curve, which is important in many areas of science and engineering. It also has applications in physics, astronomy, and signal processing.

5. What are some tips for solving trigonometric integrals?

Some tips for solving trigonometric integrals include using trigonometric identities, breaking the integral into smaller parts, and making use of symmetry. It is also important to be familiar with common trigonometric functions and their derivatives.