Trig problems (relating to FBD)

• Thread starter mujadeo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fbd Trig
In summary: So the weight, which is the force acting downwards, will have a component in the y-direction and a component in the x-direction. The y-component will be negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the positive y-axis. This is why the book says that wsuby = -w cos theta. In summary, the weight of the car being towed up a 20 degree incline will have a negative y-component due to the angle of the incline, and this is represented by the formula wsuby = -w cos theta.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

Car being towed up incline. It makes 20deg angle to the horizontal. Goes at constant velocity. No friction. Tow rope rated at 6000N max..
will it break?

Homework Equations

I don't need help in whole question, its just the trig which i keep getting wrong. (i have taken trig).
The answer is actually worked out in book but i don't understand why the trig is as it is.

The Attempt at a Solution

So in my FBD i orientate axis so that normal force points along pos y-axis, tension points along pos x-axis.
I know that if incline angle is 20deg, then the angle weight makes with neg y-axis will also be 20deg

The book says that wsuby = -w cos theta.
This is messing me up on a lot of problems so here's what I understand, in very basic trig terms:

The weight vector, neg y-axis and horizontal make up a triangle.
Theta is the angle (20deg) between the neg y-axis and the weight.

Therefore weight is the adgacent side
Neg y-axis is the Hyp side
the horizontal is the opposite side (to the angle).

So, ,based on the triangle i have chosen, the y-component of the weight = the hyp side of the triangle and the adjacent side is the weight vector.

To sum up, I have the adjacent, and the angle, and I want the hyp.
So, according to trig, because cos theta = adj / hyp,
then hyp = adj / cos theta.

So why does the book say that the y component of the weight is -w * cos theta?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say that the weight is the adjacent side? And that the y-axis is the hypotenuse? Draw your diagram again.

Along an inclined plane, the incline is the x-axis and the y-axis is perpendicular to it.

1. What is a free body diagram (FBD)?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It helps to simplify complex situations and understand the net force acting on the object.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you need to identify the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple sketch of the object and label all the forces with arrows indicating their direction and magnitude.

3. How do you solve trig problems using FBDs?

To solve trig problems using FBDs, you need to first draw the FBD and identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, use the trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, and tangent) to find the magnitude and direction of the forces. Finally, use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to solve for any unknown variables.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using FBDs in trig problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using FBDs in trig problems include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, using incorrect trigonometric ratios, and not considering the direction of the forces. It is important to carefully label and consider all the forces in order to accurately solve the problem.

5. Can FBDs be used for three-dimensional trig problems?

Yes, FBDs can be used for three-dimensional trig problems. In these cases, you may need to use vector components to separate the forces into their x, y, and z directions in order to solve the problem. It is important to draw a clear and accurate FBD to properly account for all the forces in three-dimensional space.