Trig question in calculus book

In summary, the problem involves a small boat being pulled toward a dock that is 10 feet above the water with a rope being pulled in at a rate of 1.5 feet per second. The goal is to find the rate at which the angle the rope makes with the horizontal is changing when 20 feet of rope is out. The solution involves using inverse trig functions and the general formula for the distance, and then converting to a rate equation by differentiating both sides.
pooker

Homework Statement

A small boat is being pulled toward a dock that is 10 feet above the water. The rope is being pulled in at a rate of 1.5 feet per second. Find the rate at which the angle the rope makes wit hthe horizontal is changing when 20 feet of rope is out.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Sadly it has been awhile since I have done anything like this. This section in our book is on inverse trig functions, and this is the only homework question like this. I have never had trig, so finding the change of the angle I assume it is asking in radians is something I do not know how to solve.

if the dock is ten feet above the water, 20 feet of rope is out, that makes this a 1,2 , sqrt(3) triangle. It means it already has a degree of 30, but this is about as far as I know how too work.

Physics news on Phys.org
But to get "rate of change", you need the general formula for the distance. Let the amount of rope out be h and the angle the rope makes with the horizontal [itex]\theta[/itex]. You have a right triangle "opposite side" of length 10, hypotenuse of length h, and angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. Which trig function gives you an equation out of that?

Once you get equation itself, you can convert to a "rate" equation by differentiating both sides.

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important in calculus?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important in calculus because many real-world problems involve calculating distances, angles, and forces, which can be solved using trigonometric functions.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric equation in a calculus book?

To solve a trigonometric equation in a calculus book, you must first identify the type of equation (e.g. sine, cosine, tangent) and then use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate the variable. You may also need to use calculus techniques such as differentiation or integration to solve more complex equations.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in calculus?

Some common trigonometric identities used in calculus include the Pythagorean identities (sin²x + cos²x = 1), the sum and difference identities (sin(x ± y) = sinx*cosy ± sinycosx), and the double-angle identities (sin2x = 2sinxcosx).

4. How can I apply trigonometry in calculus to real-world problems?

Trigonometry can be applied in calculus to solve real-world problems such as finding the distance between two points, determining the height of an object, or calculating the velocity or acceleration of an object in motion. Trigonometry can also be used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve more complex problems.

5. What are some tips for mastering trigonometry in calculus?

Some tips for mastering trigonometry in calculus include practicing regularly, understanding the concepts and definitions, memorizing important formulas and identities, and using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs to better understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to constantly review and apply trigonometry in different contexts to reinforce your understanding.